cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 and Vodafone revving up the 5G hype?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Call me a cynic but haven't we been here before with 3G, 4G?

Vodafone head of networks says another G won't be required if fully potential is realised

http://www.mobilenewscwp.co.uk/2019/06/19/another-g-wont-be-needed-if-industry-achieves-full-potenti...

Meanwhile O2 COO says it will be transformative

https://news.o2.co.uk/2019/06/17/o2s-coo-harnessing-the-transformative-potential-of-5g/

Wonder if both are experiencing buyer's remorse

"We've signed big cheques for this spectrum and all this shiny new networking gear, are we sure the services are going to sell like hot cakes/doughnuts"

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22941 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

Yes, they've signed big cheques, but who's going to pay for it all eventually, and make them huge profits, hmm?

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 8

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

The answer to that @Bambino is us poor fools joy

Customers are already asking about 5G phones on here and 5G has yet to be rolled out by O2, and when it is it'll be places like London and Cardiff that get it first. So I'll be all right if I want to rush out and buy a 5G phone. Which I've no intention of doing, by the way. I'm quite happy to wait to the end of my current contract in March 2021, when all the kinks in 5G will have been ironed out and, hopefully, it'll be running smoothly.

And I'm happy with the phone I have on 4G, don't feel the need to have the latest toy and am paying quite enough for 4G services at present, which are quite fast enough for me.

But there will be lots of customers, wanting the latest tech, who'll be lining O2's pockets for sure.

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 3 of 8

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I won't be one of them (who lines the pockets.) 4G is fine for me thanks...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 8

MI5
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
We're all already lining their pockets.
Give it a couple of years and everyone of us will be using 5G as a matter of course....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 8

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
We're all already lining their pockets.
Give it a couple of years and everyone of us will be using 5G as a matter of course....

I repeat...not me...upside_down

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cleoriff 

Resistance is futile!

I bet a 5G handset will catch your eye sooner or later.

Message 7 of 8

MI5
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
I know where Cleoriff is coming from in that having recently upgraded, is unlikely to again any time soon, however, very shortly, 5G will be mainstream and you won't be able to buy a phone that isn't capable and all contracts will come with 5G as standard, just as 4G is now.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 8 of 8