cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 SMS gateway settings? - I'd like to send SMS from my NAS

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi all,
I have recently bought a Synology Diskstation, and am currently configuring it. There is an option to setup email and SMS notifications for any problems with the box.
As I'm an O2 phone and broadband customer, I get 100 free text messages to use each month by logging into http://sendtxt.o2.co.uk/sendtxt/action/compose
I was wondering if I would be able to use these texts with my Synology?
According to the Synology help guide, I need to provide an SMS URL;
SMS URL: case sensitive and must be between 1 and 500 Unicode characters. The number of parameters must be between 4 and 10. This SMS URL is only for setup purposes. No SMS message will be sent after setup is completed. The format of this URL is provided by the SMS service provider, and the URL must include the following parameters: username, password, destination phone, and message content. Using Clickatell as an example, a possible URL is: https: //api.clickatell.com/http/sendmsg?user=TestUser&password=TestPassword&api_id=3148203&to=886123456789&text=Hello+world.
Please note that in "message content" parameter, the space between "Hello" and "world" will be replaced by the particular character defined by the service provider.

...aswell as a username and password.
There must be a way to do this, as I have downloaded an app on the iphone called Jelly SMS, which prettymuch does this, and it worked when testing with my sendtxt.o2.co.uk username and password (deducting from my monthly allowance accordingly)
Please can anyone suggest how I might find the paramaters needed to get this working?
Many thanks,
Stuart
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
100 views and no replys? 😐 I guess no one here knows then?
Aren't there any technical guys from O2 on here?
Message 2 of 12

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions
only customers on here no official input from o2
iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 3 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
Any ideas on how I could email the correct team in relation to my query? I've tried ringing them but it isn't the sort of quesiton they usually get and they didn't seem very prepaired for it. They were very good and made an effort to contact other teams, but it didn't really get anywhere.
Thanks for the reply BTW
Message 4 of 12

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions
there is one official o2 person that comments on business issues and some mobile related queries try a pm to chris@o2.
But you may find this is not supported.
Apple Watch series 4
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 5 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for that! I've sent Chris a message.
I did ring O2 broadband support after chatting with an online adviser on the O2 website. He confirmed that it can be done, and that if Jelly SMS has passed Apple's strict approval process then it probably isn't in breach of O2's terms and conditions. He did say thought that it wasn't a service that they would support, and as such he would be unable to provide me with the details I'm looking for. Basically advised me to keep searching the net. He did wish me good luck though... I got the feeling he wanted to tell me but couldn't.
Message 6 of 12

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions
how about asking the jellysms developer???
Apple Watch series 4

Message 7 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've tried the website for a contact address but there only seems to be Twitter and Facebook, so I've left messages asking for a direct contact.
To be honest though, I'm not 100% they'd be willing to disclose that sort of info, as they may think I'm a rival developer... but I will ask anyway.
Message 8 of 12

browni
Level 21: Regular
  • 2241 Posts
  • 35 Topics
  • 10 Solutions
Just a thought.
Wireshark allows you to see network traffic. Is there something similar that you could use on your iPhone to capture the URI being used?
#siwy
Message 9 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've never done anything like that before but I'll look into that thanks.. perhaps I'll be able to see what's submitted by the O2 site http://sendtxt.o2.co.uk/sendtxt/action/compose ?
Thanks
Message 10 of 12