cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 Outbound Team for upgrade

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all,

I'm due an upgrade in 2 months on my iPhone 6S and have been in contact with the Customer Service Upgrades team through the 202 number.

I've had 3 conversations with the Customer Service Advisors on the telephone to have a conversation about securing a new deal on my upgrade. On the second and third occasion the CS Advisors were unable to authorise my deal but both agreed that what I wanted was not outworldly or unrealistic. I was told that the Outbound Team would have the remit to bend certain things with discounts and the CS Advisors were confident they would be able to assist with securing the upgrade I was after. I was advised that I would have to wait for a call from the Outbound Team which would need to be booked in.

So here I am, 3 days later, after waiting for 3 booked calls from the Outbound Team to discuss my upgrade. As you can imagine I haven't had any missed calls or notifications through email. I have checked with the CS team who confirmed my method of contact had been checked as phone with the correct number. The common courtesy doesn't seem to exist.

What more do I have to do to show willingness to stay with O2? I've seen all the cheaper deals on the internet but I believe in loyalty. However, as I feel like the Outbound Team are now a myth I may as well jump ship.

Can anyone give me some advice?

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for your replies.

Turns out I have always been speaking to retentions. Had a very honest run down of how it all works from a member of the retention team. Outbound Team, as mentioned in earlier replies to my post, don't have a great deal of power. Their dialler system is automated and can't call people manually.

He said retentions used to be able to offer discount on airtime and device plans but because O2 have put so much faith and trust into Refresh that they have removed the ability to offer larger discounts to loyal customers.

In terms of getting a deal you want, he basically hinted at going in with the confirmation that you're leaving. Speak with whoever it is and tell them you're leaving. Then they'll probably match the deal or better what you're leaving for.

It seems that their arm will only be twisted when you tell them you're terminating the contract or want the code to transfer your number over to another provider.

Sad really. What's the point in the retentions team?
Message 11 of 21

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Well that is the point. If you don't ask for your PAC then they don't need to ngbe retaining you. It's only then will they make any offer. As for matching another supplier then that is unlikely. However you might get a decent discount off airtime which you then need to work out the savings as opposed to going with another supplier or network. 

Message 12 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable

They will never match a deal. I’ve rarely heard that they will

Message 13 of 21

gindygoo
Level 25: Hard Hitter
  • 1340 Posts
  • 59 Topics
  • 27 Solutions
@Anonymous they just did this for me on my iPhone 8 upgrade, and 2yrs ago on my iPhone 6s upgrade.

Granted I went into the call both times armed with info and links (although they never actually asked for these) to the deals I was talking about.

In both instances I've walked away with a cracking deal. Both times I've had a good chunk of money deducted from the handset cost. This time, and last I paid off my remaining contract price in full and all upfront costs were negated, plus an amount a month off the handset payment. Both times my airtime has remained at full price, even though I was under the impression that any deals are usually the other way around.

Maybe I've just been super-lucky, both times however I think the prep work has made a big impact. I was armed with lots of info and figures from 2 separate providers who were offering better deals. Both times I didn't demand they match said deals, but did advise them that I'd love to be able to stay with O2 if it were as financially viable as *insert provider here*.

It really did pay for me to attempt this, and could for others too!
Message 14 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable

@gindygoo That's exactly what I plan to do next. I've spent so much time looking at direct and third party provider deals that I could confidently go into the details.

Rather than threatening to leave O2, there will be an element of informing them and looking to confirm the termination of the contract. Either way it would be a win-win as I wouldn't be looking to blag them with a made up deal as it would actually exist! If they can't offer a decent deal I go with the one i've found, if they can, I stay with O2 without further hassle.

There's a cracking deal for Iphone 7 plus with EE at the moment. Cheaper with Three but sceptical on the coverage.

Message 15 of 21

gindygoo
  • 1340 Posts
  • 59 Topics
  • 27 Solutions
Good luck @Anonymous I've got 🤞 for you !!
Message 16 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable

@gindygoo 

For all of you who may be interested, I cancelled the contract in the end. Their final deal during cancellation was £20 upfront and £4 p/month more than the deal I cooped with EE.

24 month contract. iPhone 7 Plus - 32 GB, 15GB data, Unltd texts/mins, BT Sport and Apple Music (6mths).

All for £42 p/m and no fee upfront.

Message 17 of 21

gindygoo
  • 1340 Posts
  • 59 Topics
  • 27 Solutions
@Anonymous that's really unfortunate 😞 it's O2's loss then.

I hope you enjoy your new phone and network. I know I'm liking my new iPhone 8 😁
Message 18 of 21

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

I know what I would do. Just make sure that EE gives you good coverage at home at work and your normal areas of travel. Maybe get a free payandgo sim online to try the signal. No need to top up.

You would probably need to get your phone unlocked first by O2 via my O2. It's free for contract. 

Message 19 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable

Im doing that at the moment. I had a poor experience with o2 today with an upgrade that left me with no phone and some out of pocket expenses along with a few hours of my life wasted that I would never get back.

I've been with o2 for 18 years now and always had a good service with them until today so I checked with EE and they have some fantastic deals and the coverage for me is better than i'm experiencing with o2. Tomorrow my upgrade with o2 is going to be cancelled and hello EE.

My wife upgraded last week and I pay her bill so 202 are getting a call tomorrow to arrange her handset to be reluctantly returned and contract cancelled.

I would like to say thank you o2 for opening my eyes to other oportunities out there. EE all the way from now on

I even get 4g in my house I only get E with o2. My mate is on EE and its his phone that ive been doing the checks with and he claims to have had no network issues.

Message 20 of 21