cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New iPhone Today

Anonymous
Not applicable
So it seems Apple are set to launch a new iPhone today.

How long will it be before O2 advise if we'll be allowed to upgrade early like we were with the iPhone 3G?

Be nice to see some prompt decision on what options are available to us.
Message 1 of 54
53 REPLIES 53

Anonymous
Not applicable
There are some seriously major changes. The upgrade to HSDPA is huge and the number one criticism of the iPhone has been addressed: the camera!
Think about it, I have 7 months to run, at £45 a month. If they allowed an early upgrade, but still asked me to pay for the handset, then over the next 7 months, I'd still be paying them £45 a month, but I'll have paid then £184 for the phone! You'd think they'd be happy with the extra £184 they'd be receiving, but they're clearly hoping to bleed those loyal to the Apple/iPhone brand dry and take them for every penny they can. As i said; blatantly and unashamedly ripping off their customers.

Apple set the prices, not o2.

Out of interest. Had o2 offered to let you upgrade but instead of paying to buy yourself out you had to pay half again (or some other sum) on top of the handset price would you?

You have to remember that its not just use of the airwaves your line rental pays for, it pays for the handset itself. It is subsidised against the line rental cost. If you're on month 11 now, on the £45 tariff you would have paid £585. Bearing in mind when it first came out, the handset was more than the £599 (16gb) it is now sim free, then you wouldn't have even covered the cost of the handset, meaning you paid for the handset but o2 haven't actually made any money out of you. They are a business, they can't just give things away.
Message 21 of 54

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yeah...great analogy! :womanindifferent:
Communication providers sell a service, rather than a product. Money isn't made from the sale of handsets; they're subsidized in order to entice customers and the money is made from the reciprocal monthly payments. A car isn't sold with a data plan/tariff attached. Very different business model from a car.
Message 22 of 54

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yeah...great analogy! :womanindifferent:
Communication providers sell a service, rather than a product. Money isn't made from the sale of handsets; they're subsidized in order to entice customers and the money is made from the reciprocal monthly payments. A car isn't sold with a data plan/tariff attached. Very different business model from a car.

If o2 let you off with your monthly payments, tell me then how they make the money from it?

If they let you upgrade early, then they'll have to let Joe Bloggs who upgraded 4 weeks ago. Who's going to cover the loss of his 18m £45?
Message 23 of 54

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hence the reason I suggested that they allow those who have completed 12 of their 18 months to upgrade! Especially given that those early adopters who got the iPhone 3G at it's release will all have at least 7 months remaining.
Message 24 of 54

Anonymous
Not applicable
Do you honestly need a phone that much?

I'm honestly astounded. Mind, I was at the 3G launch with people queuing at the doors. I love my phone, but heck I can make do if a newer one comes out.

I cannot begin to tell you how much of a pain in the backside it would be to upgrade everyone at month 12. Remember, on a £35 24m tariff they would have only paid £420 with a free handset, o2 wouldn't have even made back the cost of the phone let alone any profit. You can't just give the offer to early takers because then its not fair on the late comers.
Message 25 of 54

Anonymous
Not applicable
Oh please, don't suggest for one minute that the cost price of an iPhone, to O2, is anywhere near the Pay as you Go retail price! If they're selling them at £349 for an 8GB on Pay as you Go, that of course includes a healthy mark-up!
Message 26 of 54

Anonymous
Not applicable
new anti water/fingerprints coating

Where's it say that??

EDIT: Ignore me... just found it.
Message 27 of 54

Anonymous
Not applicable
So now we find ourselves in a rutt, with o2 being the big bully...

The fact that they want their loyal cutomer data base to get ripped off with the price structure of the new iphone 3gs is a huge disgrace. The tables will definatley turn on them. The day will come when apple release the iphone on multiple networks and o2 will see all their little chicks leave the nest...

So much for people promise and fair deal. o2 as a network are very good, but stitching its customers up like this is really not a good idea, we the apple fans should be taken more seriously.

Its probably a better plan to wait till next June to see if there is another iphone out as if i do decide to upgrade in December then im stuck in the uncomfortable position of having to fork out hundreds of pounds to do another upgrade when its due...

I do hope o2 look at the seriousness of this and come up with a better solution.??
Message 28 of 54

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm not annoyed that we're not getting a free upgrade but I am annoyed that we don't get cut any slack here.

AT&T in the US are offering current iPhone 3G owners an upgrade for a fee. Makes it easier for them to upgrade.

Only way I can see to upgrade with O2 is to pay off the remainder of your contract and then either buy an overpriced Pay and Go phone or cancel your contract and take out a new contract and new iPhone that way.

Either way is a pain in the a*5e and not good customer service.

Lets hope O2 loses exclusivity of the iPhone soon. We need competition!
Message 29 of 54

Anonymous
Not applicable

BTW, is there something special about Apple fans compared to say, Nokia or LG that deserve special treatment? The iphone may have the attention but it is still small compared to Nokia.

Don't know... maybe ask AT&T why they offer an early upgrade route for iPhones but not Nokias?

Apple pricing has nothing to do with O2's complete lack of forethought and flexibility.
Message 30 of 54