cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My £1,378.25 Bill over 10 Days!

Anonymous
Not applicable
I was on o2 for 5 years or more. My monthly bills were always around £60-£100 and that is including bills whilst abroard.

I found a much better deal on Orange and my o2 contract was almost up so i began with Orange and Switched over my Number, I received a bill for the final 10 days i was with o2 @ £1,378.25. This is high due to £1214.19 of Data Charges when i've only used internet occassionally to check my emails & Facebook. Is it me or does this seem a little high taking into mind my previous bills!

I have called them, and they are now putting through investigation but was warned that 9/10 come back as legit bills. So i am wondering how this has happened? I cannot even get internet @ My Work in London!. I am also seeking legal advice on this.

I have full intentions or contacting all forms of media to make them aware of this, Surely if a phone bill was a bit high there would be some way for o2 to alert us? I am sure im am not there first and definatly not the last but i am determined to get this sorted so o2 do not rip anyone else off.

Any more help on this matter would be much appreciated

Great way to start 2009 hey!, Thanx O2!

Damien Walsh
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions
I would edit out your contact details in this public forum.
iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 2 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
You mention travelling abroad ... were you abroad when you used this data... in the US or Asia for instance £1214.19 would only buy you 200Mb ... which is quite easy to accumulate over a couple of hours a day on a site like Facebook 😕
Message 3 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
or if you used it as a modem etc.

i heard and saw of cases with much much higher bills! be lucky all i can say
Message 4 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
O2 don't have to contact you, it is your responsibility to look after your own contract. Not sure why you want to contact the media or legal help though, if its your bill then its your responsibility.

To be truthful, I've yet to see a bill come back from investigation that wasn't down to the customers so try not to hold out too much hope there, fingers crossed for you though.

My advice would be to make sure you remain polite about the matter, explain you wasn't aware of the charges involved with using the internet and had you have been then you would have purchased an internet bolt-on. Hopefully you will come to some resolution that suits both you as a customer and o2 as a company.

Good luck. x
Message 5 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
When i say occasionally, i mean 5-10 minutes on the interent on my lunch break @ Work (i work in london). Surely that doesnt cost £150 a day!

I understand that and have heard 9/10 come back legit. I am seeking legal advice and i am also willing to take this through the full process. A bill of this amount is not fair, especially over 10 days.

No matter how much you use the internet on your phone, this sort of bill is extemely high. I have told many people about this and they all laugh and say it must be a mistake.
Message 6 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
When i say occasionally, i mean 5-10 minutes on the interent on my lunch break @ Work (i work in london). Surely that doesnt cost £150 a day!

No it definitely shouldn't slight_smile

There's also the possibility of a cloned SIM card - don't let O2 tell you that's not possible - it is ... difficult, yes, but possible.
Message 7 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
You know, i've had that thought. With all this fraud etc nowadays. It's happening so many different ways. Nobodies safe and it makes me sick!. Whether or not it's happened in this case, i don't give it long til it's a known way of fraud.
Message 8 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Damien,

assuming there's been no frauds, you haven't used this data abroad etc, then it would help if you had a detailed bill of the dates and times these charges were applied, and the quantity of data involved in each session so you can try to remember what you were doing on your phone during each one of those dates and times.

If you were on an older O2 tariff that had not changed/upgraded for a long while, you probably were on the older data charge scheme where it was charged per MB, so these charges would not sound outlandish with moderate to heavy use. Newer tariffs (since the beginning of 2008) have a cap of £1 per day (subject to fair use etc).

All in all, unless you were downloading a movie or two on every single lunch break you've had recently grin , and of course excluding the possibilities above (data abroad etc), I don't see how these charges could stand.
If taken to court and fully defended by you, they would probably have to show some sort of evidence from the logs of the mast(s) you accessed when you used all this data, which would show where this access took place from and (hopefully) acquit you (esp. in case of fraud/SIM cloning etc).
Message 9 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
thanx for that, No Movie Downloads or Music Downloads took place. Was simply a case of checking my facebook.I cannot receive 3g @ my work, i spend over 2 hours on the tube a day, and i have the net at home so not used it there. the whole thing seems a bit strange. but i'm just worried something has happened and that i still have to pay this huge bill.
Message 10 of 13