cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving - No Signal - Contract Advice

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi all. I'm hoping someone can advise me.

Next month I am moving to a small village in the South West that has no 02 signal. I spoke with both 02 customer services and the network coverage team for normal and 3G and both confirmed that the area I am moving to has no signal and there are no plans to correct this.

Unfortunately I only took my 24 month contract out in Nov 2009, so I still have 18 months left. I asked 02 if there was anything I could do about my contract but was told that me moving to a place with no signal wasnt their fault and there was nothing I could do. I can understand that it isnt there fault, but at the same time I'm not moving to the middle of nowhere, and both Orange and Vodaphone have full signals out there.

Can anyone advise anything? I use my mobile for business and cannot be without it. I also cannot afford to pay 19 x £45 to buy out of my contract!

Thanks in advance. CbS
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
You are tied to the contract which you obviously realise, the only realistic option not leaving you open to trouble is to give it to friend/family. But even then you can not formally transfer the contract and you are still liable if they let you down.

Shame 02 don't do some sort of femtocell like some other networks.
Message 2 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
Sorry cbs, at the end of the day you have entered into a legal contract with o2, and as such you are obliged to complete that contract, as long as you have completed the 30 day 'opt out' period.

The fact that you are subsequently moving to an area that has no o2 reception is not o2's problem.

Sorry to sound hard, but a contract is a contract! :robotsad:

The Old Git
Message 3 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
That's cool guys. I appreciate the advice. Was just putting the feelers out in case someone had experienced the same and had some weird and wonderful advice.

I'm going to try a recommended 02 external 3G signal booster when I first move (about £80). Failing that I will have to suck it up and deal with it.

Cheers again.
Message 4 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
What phone is it, in other words is it worth anything to recoup some costs by ebaying the handset? Obviously the contract still needs paying but may save a bit.
Message 5 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
If your move is to a small village in the south west of Iraq you would be able to put your contract on hold 'Maybe'. Not taking the mickey but that is what it takes with mobile operators!
Message 6 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
That's cool guys. I appreciate the advice. Was just putting the feelers out in case someone had experienced the same and had some weird and wonderful advice.
I'm going to try a recommended 02 external 3G signal booster when I first move (about £80). Failing that I will have to suck it up and deal with it.
Cheers again.

Again, sorry to be of no constructive help.

If there was a wand, I'm sure it would be waved.

The Old Git
Message 7 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
You're allowed to switch your contract down once a month after the first 9 months. You can only go to the next lowest level each month but keep doing that until you're on the cheapest tariff if you have to pay out the rest of your contract.
Message 8 of 14

Anonymous
Level 9: Fired up
  • 1487 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
You're allowed to switch your contract down once a month after the first 9 months. You can only go to the next lowest level each month but keep doing that until you're on the cheapest tariff if you have to pay out the rest of your contract.

This is probably the best suggestion.
In another 3 months, get in touch with O2 and ask them to reduce your tariff to the next one down.
The following month, ask them to reduce it again.
And keep doing this until you're at a level that you can comfortably afford to pay off.

In the meantime, get yourself a PAYG SIM with one of the other networks. When you're in an area with O2 signal, set your phone's network settings to forward all incoming calls to your new PAYG number. Now turn off your O2 phone and leave it turned off. All calls to your O2 number should now ring through to your new PAYG number.
Message 9 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
Cheers again.

Any links to this signal booster please i am very intrested thanks.
Message 10 of 14