cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Microsim on non iPhone 4 contract. Do it yourself!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Just to let everyone know: I've just spent a couple of infuriating days battling with O2 and the Carphone Warehouse. Basically I bought a used iPhone 4 and wanted to swap my standard sim for a micro sim. I have since learned that neither the Carphone Warehouse or O2 are prepared to do this as they want you to buy new iPhone 4s from them on a proper tariff.
The answer? Make your own micro sim.
Just google "cut microsim" and you'll find instructions online and on YouTube. I just cut my standard sim down with scissors and it works perfectly. I didn't even do that good a job!
What have I got? An iPhone 4 for £400 on eBay on a £14 a month sim only contract. Free web, calls and text. Magic.
Ignore any warnings and do it yourself. It's really easy.
Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20

Anonymous
Not applicable
When you say 'if one company relies on the other' It seems like you haven't understood the situation. There is no reliance.
Your phone account is with CPW. when you pay your bill it goes to CPW, whenever anything changes on your account it has to be done by CPW. O2 has *nothing* to do with your account. You might as well ask voda or orange to sort it out for you as ask O2, the result would be the same. This is confused by use of the O2 brand by CPW which is why, gradually and for the last few months, O2 has been migrating O2 CPW customer accounts back in-house, to allow the network to directly manage these accounts, which it currently cannot do. That's why CPW O2,customer services is a different number to call than O2 themselves. This will take a while as there are lots of them, but once you are on O2's systems the problem will go away.
Now, CPW dont do micro sims, all CPW customers that upgraded to the IP4 had to have their accounts transferred back to O2 to allow it to happen.
This is why you are having a problem. It's not 'won't' it's 'can't' .
Yes it's ridiculous and annoying, that's why O2 are putting an end to the situation, but as to when its your turn to move, who knows?
Message 11 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks - very concise explaination. Yup - it's ridiculous and annoying. I also realise there's nothing I can do about it. I'm happy with my home-made micro sim and I'm happy with my cheap tariff. I just hope for the countless other customers stuck in the same situation, they find this forum and have the confidence to make their own micro sim so they can enjoy whatever phone they want on their Carphone Warehouse tariff.
For anyone who doesn't have a steady hand, these are also available to punch out your micro sim for you.
####. Moderators have censored this. Just google sim cutter.
Thanks for your interesting points folks.
Message 12 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable
Moderators.....form an orderly queue.....by the left, quick, moderate !
Message 13 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable
Aye. I kind of had that feeling. Still - the fact still stands that I got my cheap iPhone 4 and cheap tariff and any Carphone Warehouse customer can too with a pair of scissors. I guess the moral of the story is to be wary of anyone who has posted over 1000 times on an O2 forum. Should moderators not indicate who they are before they moderate?
Message 14 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable
Aye. I kind of had that feeling. Still - the fact still stands that I got my cheap iPhone 4 and cheap tariff and any Carphone Warehouse customer can too with a pair of scissors. I guess the moral of the story is to be wary of anyone who has posted over 1000 times on an O2 forum. Should moderators not indicate who they are before they moderate?

Moderators do make it clear, it's part of their name.
Message 15 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable

None of the moderators has 1000 posts and they do not post directly on the forum. The only posters on the threads are other o2 customers.
Message 16 of 21

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions
well said brendan002
For clarity there are 3 types of user
1 Us customers with random usernames
2 Site admins (o2 staff) like chris@o2 all end in @o2 and say site admin by there username
3 Moderators an outside company doing it to strict rules and they are all Moderator2 or another number at the end all they do is moderate

Also if we were moderators do you think the spam would stay on the site for so long!!!
iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 17 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable
I guess the moral of the story is to be wary of anyone who has posted over 1000 times on an O2 forum.

Sorry, what did I do? I was only trying to clarify a conusing situation. Sorry if I offended anyone.
Its not the first time I've upset someone simply by trying to pass on what I know, maybe it's time I jacked it in
Message 18 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry. Where in your name? Your name is Wanty?!?
Message 19 of 21

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

Sorry. Where in your name? Your name is Wanty?!?

See my reply
iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 20 of 21