cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Massive O2 call charge against a REJECTED telemarketing call

Anonymous
Not applicable

A friend of mine got a bit of a shock the other week to find a telemarketing call from a Vodafone affiliate (Aquira, Glasgow number 01414194380) which she rejected as she didn't recognise the number - and her Android phone log confirms she did - resulted in a massive bill to HER from O2. I forget the amount but I think it was over £100 and the call lasted many hours according to O2. 

I took a photo of the the log on her phone and sent it to O2, but they are adamant SHE made the call and are refusing to refund.  

I called the number myself and it cycles endlessly around Aquira's IVR without ever disconnecting - so if you WERE unfortunate enough to dial it back by mistake, I can understand how such a massive bill could rack up. But there is simply no evidence that happened.  I then found two more reports on the net relating to the SAME issue with calls from the SAME Glasgow number, and a third case which sounds similar.  

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/311-bill-not-my-fault/td-p/685943
http://www.moneysupermarket.com/community/forums/t/charged-for-phone-calls-that-phoned-me-58418.aspx

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/experts/article-2441376/Why-wont-BT-remove-89-charge-18-hour-phon...

So my question is, does anyone out there know under what technical circumstances or fault could this happen? In theory it doesn't seem possible but it obviously is. 

Message 1 of 32
31 REPLIES 31

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 146687 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28243 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
I would still Suggest your friend uses the complaint link I added to further the issue.

Post 3 - complaint already raised....

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 21 of 32

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes MI5 as the OP says "Thanks for your reply - it is already a complaint with O2. Next step is the Ombudsman I guess."

But that could also be assumed the complaint has been raised by a phone call to Customer services and not via the complaint link.

Which is why I reiterated.

No harm down I'm sure. slight_smile
Message 22 of 32

MI5
  • 146687 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28243 Solutions
I read it differently but each to their own.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 23 of 32

Anonymous
Not applicable
The current email dialogue is with their "Complaint Review Service"
Message 24 of 32

Anonymous
Not applicable
That's cool.

Just thought I'd check that's all.

I hope at whatever stage your friend takes this to ~ it comes to an amicable resolution.
Message 25 of 32

MI5
  • 146687 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28243 Solutions
Good luck and keep us in the loop....
Message 26 of 32

Anonymous
Not applicable

I had a bit of an off-the-wall thought a few minutes ago. What if the PHONE was somehow making the call back?  Imagine my surprise when I did a quick search and found this......

http://forums.androidcentral.com/android-4-4-kitkat/371401-possible-bug-phone-auto-dialing-new-call-...

Now it doesn't say if these random calls appear in logs - but if they don't (and if this IS a bug, that's feasible), it might just explain what we have seen here.

Message 27 of 32

Anonymous
Not applicable
It's certainly another avenue to check out and I'm not sure if O2 would then consider the situation although they do have the Os firmwares to play with before general release ,and it would be interesting to know what stance the manufacturer would say.
Message 28 of 32

MI5
  • 146687 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28243 Solutions
If you could reliably demonstrate this bug to someone at O2 it would add credence to the claim.
I would still expect these calls to be logged though....
Message 29 of 32

Cleoriff
  • 124120 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 7513 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

I had a bit of an off-the-wall thought a few minutes ago. What if the PHONE was somehow making the call back?  Imagine my surprise when I did a quick search and found this......

http://forums.androidcentral.com/android-4-4-kitkat/371401-possible-bug-phone-auto-dialing-new-call-after-hanging-up-another-caller.html

Now it doesn't say if these random calls appear in logs - but if they don't (and if this IS a bug, that's feasible), it might just explain what we have seen here.

I think that is precisely what I was trying to suggest in my first post to you @Anonymous (or something similar) wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 30 of 32