cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Let's talk about.... O2 Mobile Broadband Dongles!

Toby
Former Staff
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Hi guys,

Let's talk about the fact that O2 have begun to stock O2 Broadband Dongles!

They're available in Pay Monthly and Pay & Go. Check out if the link below for more info:

Click here for more O2 Broadband Dongle info!

As these products are fairly new, we wanted to hear from you all on your general dongle thoughts. Do you use a dongle or have in the past? If so, when is the most useful time to fire one up? DO you use them often when travelling around the world? We want to hear from you!

We’ll potentially have a few of these devices available for testing, so it would be great to get all of your general thoughts on mobile broadband slight_smile

o2 dongle.png

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 1 of 33
32 REPLIES 32

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 145040 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27831 Solutions
I have the Huawei (pictured above) for use as a WiFi hotspot in the car for the kids - it works very well and keeps them quiet.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 2 of 33

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well as i have nothing but bad things to say about o2 internet ( expecialy in my area) i would avoid these without hesitation.....

but if you have full 3g or 4g in the area i suppose there not to bad but it depends on price and howmuch you get for the price 2bh. 

Message 3 of 33

Cleoriff
  • 123369 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7476 Solutions

Ahhh...the dongle. Now I used these a lot in Spain till I had Wifi installed in the apartment.

However, although it was on the Orange network it was Orange ES.That particular one worked well...

On the other hand I once tried a 3 Dongle in Spain (bought and topped up in the UK) ....and it didn't work on my netbook. I was assured it would, so I was annoyed as hell Evil

@MI5  will remember that debacle...Rolleys

I think we concluded that it should have been set up for use in the UK before I went abroad. Wasn't possible as the netbook stays in Spain permanently.

I have used the 3 dongle in the UK when my broadband went down. That was a lifesaver...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 33

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, despite living in an area surrounded by fibre cabinets my landline goes direct to a city exchange which has no fibre so when my broadband is behaving well I get a dizzy 1mb/sat best, apease the weefee, arghh!

A mobile broadband dongle may be the answer for me, I would be interested in trialing one or at least hearing from others on their experience with this kit?

Michael

Message 5 of 33

MI5
  • 145040 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27831 Solutions
As long as you get a decent mobile data speed they work very well, but don't expect miracles on gprs !!
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 6 of 33

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
@Toby
So I get one on refresh yeah,
Pay the tenner up front and £1 yes £1
I then pay the remaining 23 months @£1 per month meaning a total of £34 and can then just walk away?

Wtf?
Message 7 of 33

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
In fact all three of those devices work out stupidly cheap on refresh if you pay off instantly.
Message 8 of 33

jonsie
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

I have one I use in emergency but it's very rarely used in the UK. I do take it overseas with me when I take the laptop as I have a Thai sim for it. It's the Huawei E3131 from memory (it's still in my suitcase in Thailand:smileywink:). Works great for me and always worth having one of these for those annoying moments when wifi or network coverage goes belly-up.

Message 9 of 33

MI5
  • 145040 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27831 Solutions

Ignore this Cheers

Currently using:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 10 of 33