cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Leaving O2 (anyone else feeling the same?)

Anonymous
Not applicable
I know this has been discussed a few times before but i just wanted to see if anyone was getting the same impression from O2 that i have been getting?

I have been an O2 Pay monthly customer for 6 years , my average monthly spend across this period has been £50 a month. before taking out the monthly contract i was a PAYG customer for 3 years regularly updating my phone and topping up at least £20 a month.

I have had no problems with the service recieved, and the contracts offered have always been good value and provided me with a choice of handsets and options..... untill recently that is!

The reason i have now decided to leave O2 is because they are basically giving me no choice.

The contracts are no longer competative and the choice of handsets is currently by far the worst on the market. If you dont want a iPhone there is very little to chose from, and what is on offer is outdated.

My last contract expired in May, i enquired about the iphone but for what i wanted it was to expensive and decided against taking the contract but was willing to wait for new options to arrive and switched to the £20 simplicity to fill the gap in contracts and see what O2 would have done once the second quater came to and end.

What they did was nothing! There are very few new desirable handsets and nothing has been offered to me by O2 (basically i think their is little interest in holding onto customers who dont want an iphone or something similar). So basically i have only one option left move to orange or vodaphone and actually get some choice.

Im pretty dissapointed i dont really want to leave O2 but there is nothing on offer i want and no sign of this changing. 4 months down the line and the choice of handsets still hasnt changed.

Is anyone else finding the same thing when it comes to remewing thier contract??
Message 1 of 105
104 REPLIES 104

Anonymous
Not applicable

Not very nice is it?
Message 21 of 105

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have had my upgrade on standby since june2008 yes well over a year. Why ? Well because there has literally been no true market leading phones available other than the iphone in the last 12 months. I don't want an Iphone, so ermm what’s my options well ..ermm lets see shall we? www.o2.co.uk/shop

Hmmmm the answer = a pile of rubbish phones. All the other providers have such a varied range of phones from smart phones - to pretty girly phones - to ridiculously high mega pixal camera oriented phones. o2 ermm lets see ... has IPHONE & IPHONE ...and that great alternative called IPHONE or go home.

Now why am I still with o2? Well cause I work for a sister company of o2 who sell some o2 products and thus we get a discount on o2 contracts. BUT even with the discount I’m still very close to leaving as I think I’ve waited long enough for a decent smart phone to arrive on o2. I joined o2 for its unique xda phone when it was the new boy on the block. The IPHONE of its time shall we say ,, But back then it’s not like o2 didn’t also have some great other options, now it’s like all their efforts are focused on the IPhone with its rip off tariffs & it new "copy & paste" options ..yup were living the future there ..." ".

I can see myself going vodaphone if I don’t hear some positive new release news in next month... Customer “loyalty
Message 22 of 105

Anonymous
Not applicable
@bt1471
You are not limited to O2 phones!
Your contract is with the sim card, NOT the phone you use, hence you can get any phone you want, when it is unlocked (if needed), just put your sim card in and off you go.
This way you still have your discounted O2 contract with the phone you like.

Most people are put off by the higher price for unlocked or "sim-free" phones.
I have bought about 99% of my phones on Ebay, some are locked, some are unlocked.
Message 23 of 105

Anonymous
Not applicable
@rasputin007

I current pay £17.50 which is o2 600 but 50% off

£17.50 x 18 months = £315 fixed cost over an 18 month period

Cheapest touch pro 2 on ebay that iv'e seen go for... was around £390 and that was out of the box.

I really don't want my fix cost to double just for a phone. The way I see it is part of my line rental is payment for a brand new phone.

Popular PHONES on ebay often go for over inflated prices. And if im gonna folk out silly money on a phone then I might as well switch to Vodafone where I don't get a discount. Then get the phone for free for £30 a month with (first 3 months free promotion) and end up paying a fixed cost of - 450 which isn't that much more than the phone alone would cost me on ebay.

In a perfect world I'd rather o2 get their act together and see passed the Iphone as the BE all & end all and give people a little top of the line variety, cause the fact is that there are many more blogs like this that also echo the lack of top of the line variety on o2 at the moment. Us "Bloggers" simply only represent a few that feel the need to express ourselves online , there are thousands more that don't bother with that or just settle for second best. Unfortunately it appears the only way we can make a change is to vote with our feet/credit/debit cards. 😞
Message 24 of 105

Anonymous
Not applicable
Your discount will go to 30% when you upgrade, o2 no longer off the 50% discount.

I'd go for the £20 simo with 30% discount and buy my own phone personally.

Even if o2 got the TP2, you'd never get it for free on that tariff and you'd be looking at paying at least £100 for it up front.
Message 25 of 105

Anonymous
Not applicable
Unlocked phone are expensive. I know you do not like the iPhone, but I bought one (2G 8GB), no 3G coverage where I live, as faulty for £100.- on Ebay, restored the firmware, jailbroke and unlock it, now it works a treat. Same phone would cost over £200 on Ebay. But then I am quite familiar with repairing phones, changing the firmwares etc., is my hobby.
Which ever way you look at it you have to make compromises, pay more money for the phone you want and you want to use with your contract. Or choose a "not that perfect" contract/provider to get the phone you want, without paying a lot of money for the phone.
Well, nothing is perfect, but the choice is yours! :womanindifferent:
Message 26 of 105

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have had my upgrade on standby since june2008 yes well over a year. Why ? Well because there has literally been no true market leading phones available other than the iphone in the last 12 months. I don't want an Iphone, so ermm what’s my options well ..ermm lets see shall we? www.o2.co.uk/shop

Hmmmm the answer = a pile of rubbish phones. All the other providers have such a varied range of phones from smart phones - to pretty girly phones - to ridiculously high mega pixal camera oriented phones. o2 ermm lets see ... has IPHONE & IPHONE ...and that great alternative called IPHONE or go home.

Now why am I still with o2? Well cause I work for a sister company of o2 who sell some o2 products and thus we get a discount on o2 contracts. BUT even with the discount I’m still very close to leaving as I think I’ve waited long enough for a decent smart phone to arrive on o2. I joined o2 for its unique xda phone when it was the new boy on the block. The IPHONE of its time shall we say ,, But back then it’s not like o2 didn’t also have some great other options, now it’s like all their efforts are focused on the IPhone with its rip off tariffs & it new "copy & paste" options ..yup were living the future there ..." ".

I can see myself going vodaphone if I don’t hear some positive new release news in next month... Customer “loyalty
Message 27 of 105

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yeah, I was unfortunate enough to have a Storm with Vodafone. All I can say is that it is the worst handset ever produced. It's the only time I've had to terminate a contract early.
Message 28 of 105

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've never had a Blackberry myself but have had various XDA models. I can honestly say after a year that my iPhone is quite the best handset I've ever had. It does everything really well (email, web etc) and the only thing I could wish for is abut double the battery life! My car charger has been my saviour more than once.
Message 29 of 105

Anonymous
Not applicable
I created a post here that I did not consider offensive or particularly derogatory, but obviously asked some questions that O2 did not want to answer.

The post was removed and I had a message from a moderator saying that

"This is because comment(s) you have made contain general criticism of O2’s products or services. You are more than welcome to share your experiences with O2, whether they’re positive or negative. Doing so may allow other users to provide support as well as providing us with insight to areas that are going wrong. "

I was dissapointed in the handset range that was offered as I am currently looking for a new phone.

After this response I will not be using O2, and I will be recomending that my customers do not use O2 and neither will my Business. I work as an ICT consultant I do occasionaly get asked about mobile phone packages for business.

If O2 can not take some critisim of the perceved service by a prospective customer then I do not wish to do business with them.

I realise that I am not the only prospective customer with the critisim so why was the post removed?

I Imagine this post will be remove in the next 15 minutes or so.

I may not have that much influence compared to the scale of O2's operations but I will be doing my utmost to disuade people from using your service within my sphere of influence.

I would add at this point that all of the sales personel I have spoken to have been exceptional, they seem almost as frustrated as me, in that they can not provide the handsets requested.

I am sure that Vodaphone will appreciate they have recieved another customer from O2.
Message 30 of 105