Did you mean: 

It is official from 1st july 2013 no bt wifi / bt openzone

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

from the support pages

What is happening to bt openzone for o2 customers?

From 1 July 2013, O2 customers will need to use O2 Wifi hotspots to get online instead of hooking up to BT Openzone.

Customers on O2 Wifi can access over 8000 hotspots across the UK and connect up to 5 devices to a single mobile number.

End quote

But if you have bt broadband at home and have enabled the sharing of your home adsl with other bt customers you can still access it using your bt login details and bt have an app for diferant platforms to help you.

There are many threads about this but ignore the comments from live chat etc the above is the true facts.

Remember that the wifi was not part of your core contract and could be removed at any time so no getting out of your contract etc.

Edited to remove false link from cut and paste
iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17

chriscross
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 5 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
This is taking O2 customers in the wrong direction: wifi access should be broadening, not narrowing in scope. It seems to be standard practise from all mobile operators to lure users in and undermine the frills that sweeten the contract. But it's not a sign of good commitment to their customers.
Message 11 of 18

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions
breaks silence again

O2 now have more free wifi spots that the free (premium) bt wifi sites (that were included as a bonus) and are investing in more all the time.

Forget the media hype of millions of hotspots lost only about 4000 .

My rant and truthful post over
iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 12 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

So my mum has BT Broadband that I can no longer access as an O2 customer, and my sister also has BT Broadband that both she and I can no longer access, as O2 customers. I have Sky at home and access to an open network at work, so it's not life-threatening or earth-shattering, but the nearest O2 wifi hotspot is the local shopping centre.  And even then, I can rarely access any wifi in there.

I also find that my phone won't 'forget' a wifi network.  It will simply keep telling me there are open networks available, including BT ones.  Surely the technology is there to either 'forget' unusable networks altogether or to say 'sorry, you do not have access to this network'.

I once queried why my phone wouldn't connect to any of the 'open networks' it flagged up (in an O2 shop at said shopping centre), and they said that although there are signs saying 'free wifi' that doesn't mean I could access them.  

Message 13 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry double post, faulty mouse.

Message 14 of 18

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

I'm puzzled, if your mum and sister have a BT router at home and give you their wi-fi passwords you will be able to use it as normal.

This has nothing to do with not having access to BT Wi-Fi public hotspots.

You can also connect to O2 Wi-Fi at their shops as they're free for anyone to use.

http://www.o2.co.uk/coverage/o2wifi

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 15 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

Exactly! When you are at their house, connect to their router, not the BT Openzone access point!

But they could also give you their Openzone username and password and you can access all the BT Openzone or BT Fon networks you want!

Message 16 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
Ah. Different problem then?

I have both their passwords (and obviously my sister has her own for hers anyway) and have used their wifi beforw but now can't access either and my sister says she's never been able to access her own BT wifi from her phone.

Will look elsewhere for issues
Message 17 of 18

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

Please let us know how you get on.

To connect to your own BT router you should be looking for a SSID (wireless station name) listed as BTHub3-H2YH or similar.

Hotspots you cannot connect with are listed as BTWiFi or BTWiFi-with-Fon unless you have an account with BT for these services.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 18 of 18