liggerz87
Level 20: Radiant
  • 1279 Posts
  • 102 Topics
  • 15 Solutions
21 REPLIES 21

Anonymous
Not applicable
I’m not sure how anyone can avoid this. (I guess not being on social media is a start)
Message 2 of 22

Cleoriff
  • 126357 Posts
  • 832 Topics
  • 7558 Solutions

Or not using banking apps on your mobile. Avoid giving your mobile number to any company or social media site (if like me, you have a landline) I knew the landline would come in handy one day.wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 22

JAZZ-trad
Level 13: Prompter
  • 890 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Hi @liggerz87 Thank you for the info.
The comforting thing still seems to be that the scammers still need you to TELL them details too! Advices would be not to talk to anyone you are not completely sure about 🤔
Message 4 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cleoriff wrote:

Or not using banking apps on your mobile. Avoid giving your mobile number to any company or social media site (if like me, you have a landline) I knew the landline would come in handy one day.wink

Banking apps are as safe (if not safer) as using a desktop PC for online banking. If someone steals your phone, then the usual protections like Touch ID (or Face ID) will thwart any attempt at fraudulent use. Sim swap fraud is a different ball game, because the fraudsters are trying to use other security information, in order to gain access to your accounts via their own mobile phone.

Banks have a part to play in protecting their customers, but mobile networks are the weak link in the security chain, and some are taking that issue more seriously than others.

Edit: typo

Message 5 of 22

Cleoriff
  • 126357 Posts
  • 832 Topics
  • 7558 Solutions

As the topic is about sim jacking I was basing my response on that @Anonymous 

I do not use my mobile phone for anything where my number may be at risk. I certainly don't have any banking apps on it.

A PC doesn't need a sim and whilst I'm not gullible enough to think I am safer using my PC to avoid any type of scam, I do my best to protect myself.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cleoriff 

"Sim jacking" is just another term for the sim swap scam. 

I was just making the point that we can easily become paranoid about the risks. I can only speak from personal experience, but I've been impressed with the level of security offered by my own bank. But I don't always have the same confidence in my mobile provider.

Message 7 of 22

Cleoriff
  • 126357 Posts
  • 832 Topics
  • 7558 Solutions

Yes I know what it is. It's too easy for scammers to walk into a shop and ask for a sim card and transfer any number onto it.

I read somewhere a few weeks ago that O2 are the worst at implementing verification. rage

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 22

TallTrees
Level 50: Versatile
  • 11258 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 374 Solutions

Thank you @liggerz87 

for posting that slight_smile

I never use my mobile for banking

I do not have a banking app on my mobile obviously

I decided not to even access info from my bank

from my mobile, so there is not info stored Crazy LOL

Trying to SIM JACK from me WILL BE DIFFICULT 

I am so suspicious tongue

No FB no Twitter no Social Media 

I try to keep things separate.

This is just my way of trying to keep my info safe.

Always doing my bestcool 

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 9 of 22

Bambino
Level 85: Esteemed
  • 24065 Posts
  • 1049 Topics
  • 3778 Solutions

I actually posted an article about this over a week ago, and @Cleoriff posted an accompanying article in her reply, but very few people took any notice. https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Discussions-and-Feedback/New-Scam-To-Watch-Out-For/td-p/1263599

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 10 of 22