cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

‘How to be safe on line’

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dear All,

I wonder what everyone would think about starting a conversation/an educational thread on ‘how to be safe on line’? (I browsed the forum and it’s not a topic I have came across yet, hence my suggestion to you all).

This is of interest for me and my reasoning is from a parent point of view, as we cannot stop our children from accessing the evolving technology, (e.g. smartphones, Facebook, BBM, etc.), yet, we (the parents) should keep up with the technology in order to have a better understanding of it and do our best to ensure that our kids are safe/protected on line and enjoying the benefits of it...

However, for less tech minded people like me, but willing to learn, I would benefit from a simple 'user friendly' guide and support, where you can ask any basic questions without being uncomfortable for been so simple...

Just a thought....  please let us know yours.

Kind regards...    D

Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25

Liquid
Level 44: Clearly Talented
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
What sort of parts would we like to cover?

I completely agree about the "cyber bulling" I think its a horrible point in your life where you can't feel safe at home especially for a child.
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 11 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable
@Liquid wrote:
What sort of parts would we like to cover?

I completely agree about the "cyber bulling" I think its a horrible point in your life where you can't feel safe at home especially for a child.

I learnt today from a teenager that BBM is not 'en vogue' anymore - it's 'munching' now...

I pretended I knew, of course, but what IS it munching, anyway? from conversation sounded like 'print screen' command on the computer; is it similar?

Also is it true that BBM is not traceable if necessary? How would I check, or can it be checked, which numbers were used to BBM?

Please do advise, many thanks....  D

Message 12 of 26

Liquid
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
Indeed "munching" is screen prints. It's actually the term given to the process of using the app "screen muncher" which blackberry apparently bought and installed it as a integrated package(Had to google it myself:()

BBM as far as I know is untraceable. Obviously its all sent through a central blackberry server so in theory it can be obtained via a court order.

Sorry what do you mean by checking of the numbers used to BBM? Do you mean whom your children are in contact with via the service?
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 13 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Liquid wrote:
Indeed "munching" is screen prints. It's actually the term given to the process of using the app "screen muncher" which blackberry apparently bought and installed it as a integrated package(Had to google it myself:()

BBM as far as I know is untraceable. Obviously its all sent through a central blackberry server so in theory it can be obtained via a court order.

Sorry what do you mean by checking of the numbers used to BBM? Do you mean whom your children are in contact with via the service?

that's correct; I'm given them 'space', because no trust broken to date, however I would like to be prepared, as in preventing issues from happening, if make sense...

Thank you...

Message 14 of 26

Liquid
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
Ok that makes sense no worries:)

As far as I know the BBM contacts are encrypted which won't allow you to access them without direct access to the phone.

There is another way of recovering data from backups if they back up their mobiles? However as to the legality of this I'm not sure. I imagine as a parent you'll be safe to use it. I have certainly used it illegally I'm the past so I can vouch for its ability.

It is however rather technical so I'd need to know a few things about the computer used to back up if you'd like a guide on how to proceed?

Sometimes knowing less is better if you get my meaning. Encouraging them to talk to you about problems especially bullying would be a huge step(not saying you don't sorry) just from what I've experienced you somtimes learn things you wish you hadn't. Also once the trust is broken its highly unlikely to return.
Message 15 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Liquid wrote:
Ok that makes sense no worries:)

As far as I know the BBM contacts are encrypted which won't allow you to access them without direct access to the phone.

There is another way of recovering data from backups if they back up their mobiles? However as to the legality of this I'm not sure. I imagine as a parent you'll be safe to use it. I have certainly used it illegally I'm the past so I can vouch for its ability.

It is however rather technical so I'd need to know a few things about the computer used to back up if you'd like a guide on how to proceed?

Sometimes knowing less is better if you get my meaning. Encouraging them to talk to you about problems especially bullying would be a huge step(not saying you don't sorry) just from what I've experienced you sometimes learn things you wish you hadn't. Also once the trust is broken its highly unlikely to return.

You are very Kind, slight_smile - I have a BB myself and use the backup data on my notebook; however, I've noticed with my phone that it is not backing up my BBM data....

Also what I found frustrating, is that kids always seems to know when I'm on Facebook from my BB or download a new app, etc. (which I am not hiding it); hence I wonder, is there any other way round? as in, can I not know on my phone what they are up too?

At the moment is for my own tech development only

Thanks again  slight_smile

Message 16 of 26

Liquid
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions

When you log into Facebook from your phone it will tag your chats or status updates with "sent by my blackberry phone" or something to similar effect. Which would allow them to know your using your phone to be online.

However the app bit confuses me slightly. Ill do some digging.

So whenever you download a new app your kids know about it without you mentioning?
[EDIT: by any chance are the apps connected to Facebook? Eg they ask you to login to Facebooa or allow them access to your account?]

I believe you have to tick a box to back up your BBM data as well. I can find the details for you if you'd like?

Unfortunately I'm not a blackberry user but I have learnt a lot from the forums and google can tell me the rest:)

(Unless O2 send me a new phone ey?:))

Message 17 of 26

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Haha wink

I'll collate all of the thoughts on this in the top post soon, as there have been so many great points made. I'll then take them to the my colleagues and see if we can add anything to main page from this great discussion.

We could perhaps add a part about purchasing stuff online too? It's not related in terms of bullying, but definitely catches a lot of people out.

Have you ever had a bad experience online? How did you handle it? Success stories are so helpful as it provides a step-by-step account slight_smile

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 18 of 26

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

A browser add on that I use is Trusteer Rapport which is offered by most UK banks free to all their customers.

It will check that you are only signing into a legitimate version of a web site (not just your bank), and I feel everybody should use it.

Here is the Google page with them listed:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=free+trusteer+download&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-G...

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 19 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Liquid wrote:

When you log into Facebook from your phone it will tag your chats or status updates with "sent by my blackberry phone" or something to similar effect. Which would allow them to know your using your phone to be online.

However the app bit confuses me slightly. Ill do some digging.

So whenever you download a new app your kids know about it without you mentioning?
[EDIT: by any chance are the apps connected to Facebook? Eg they ask you to login to Facebook or allow them access to your account?]

I believe you have to tick a box to back up your BBM data as well. I can find the details for you if you'd like?

Unfortunately I'm not a blackberry user but I have learnt a lot from the forums and google can tell me the rest:)

Hi and many thanks,:smileyhappy: and my quick update:

I have 'employed' my teenagers as my personal 'Gurus' - using one of the best technique in my opinion: honesty/openness - I ask them to enlighten their mother about 'how come they know directly when I'm installing new apps, or on Facebook, etc.?...  the answer has in phone's settings - there is a tick/untick box which you can chose if you what, or not, to share with Facebook and/or BBM what updates have made to your phone, (including backing up BBM messages)...

How obvious was that?!... for some users you might say, however, I had a lovely time spending 1:1 quality/learning time with my 'Gurus'.... I would recommended to all parents.... Smiley Very Happy

My best regards.... D

Message 20 of 26