cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frustrated with O2 chat - data roaming issue

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have never been so frustrated with a company! 

I have tried several times to use the 'Chat' service to solve an issue I have with data roaming charges while I was in Croatia. Unfortunatelty, I now see this board as my last resort to try and get the issue resolved. I am hoping an O2 representative will contact me.

While in Croatia I turned on my data to take advantage of the O2 travel data for 1.99 - as I have done several times. I received a notification to say that I had 50MB to use. At this point I had 23pounds of credit. A few minutes later I recieved a notifcation to say that I had no credit left. I recieved no notification or text to say that the O2 travel data had ceased to work and that I was being charged the usual roaming fees. 

One chat representative - Gail - said that I was charged because I went too close to a border and was not covered by O2 travel. I undertstand that this can happen. What I find inexcusable is that I was not notified or given the opportunity to turn off my data to avoid these additional charges.

I have been sent many ridiculous excuses and pieces of advice by representatives and managers through the chat service such as "If you didnt turn on your data then you wouldnt have been charged for data" and "You should use google to find out which parts of Croatia are not a part of Europe". I ask them to tell me an email address or a phone number I can contact for free if they cannot help me. They simply refuse to give me any information then end the chat. 

I find the 'Chat' option a complete waste of time for everyone involved as it does not allow issues to be resolved at all. It seems to be a way for O2 to easily dismiss a customers' issues by simply ending the chat.

I am hoping someone on here has had a similar experience that they have overcome or that someone has information on how I can contact O2 customer service without charge.

Amanda

Message 1 of 34
33 REPLIES 33

Anonymous
Not applicable
And of the data just stops (as advised by MI5 above which was my understanding for pay monthly but not sure re payg), then i would have to ask again that this doesn't sound correct and that the OP should ask o2 to explain.
Message 21 of 34

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you Rich for clarification. So the OP may have strayed into the further depths of (non) Europe in which case when changing network she should have been notified by the local provider on behalf of o2. From the info on here i think she has a good case to take to CS and if no joy then onto complaintreviewservice@o2.com for full review. (Takes up to 14 days usually but need to speak to CS first to see what they can do if anything).
Message 22 of 34

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the support and info. I'm back in the UK soon so I will have to buy more credit and give customer service a call.
@Anonymous will o2 reply from that email address? I've read that there is no way to contact them via email.
Message 23 of 34

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi and thanks for the update.

O2 will answer via that email however it is for complaints, it is not a customer service email address.

Therefore the time it takes them to reply may be up to 14 days. If they need to speak to you regarding your complaint it sounds like you are going to have problems receiving the call if you are still abroad.

If you decide to complain i would recommend you make it clear you can't receive inbound calls and that they can only reach you by email unless there is someone with you with a mobile (doesn't have to be worth o2) whom they can call to be put through to you.
Message 24 of 34

Cleoriff
  • 124199 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 7513 Solutions

Just to add something else here. When I was on PAYG and driving (not flying) to Spain, I was never notified that my network provider had changed.

My only way of seeing this was by checking my phone myself.

Or usually, in my case, I just happened to notice that the network logo on my homescreen was different wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 25 of 34

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 146925 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28262 Solutions
You certainly don't get any notification if switching between European providers. The questionable practice here is if you should be notified of roaming on a non European network after receiving notification of O2 Travel activation.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 26 of 34

Cleoriff
  • 124199 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 7513 Solutions

Yes I do realise that Rich... but was really just pointing out my experience of switching between providers during travel abroad..

It seems that O2 are absolving themselves of any responsibility by informing the OP that it is the foreign networks job to tell them of changes.... (when O2 never do pass on this info themselves)...

Anyway... I just thought it worth making the point....:smileywink:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 27 of 34

MI5
  • 146925 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28262 Solutions
It would be useful if at least one of the networks involved provided a notification wink
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 28 of 34

jonsie
  • 93267 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 6985 Solutions

As you know I travel quite a bit in the far east and I alwayg get a text from O2 regarding the roaming charges whenever I cross the border to a neighbouring country. None of these countries are covered by O2 Travel.

Message 29 of 34

Cleoriff
  • 124199 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 7513 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

As you know I travel quite a bit in the far east and I alwayg get a text from O2 regarding the roaming charges whenever I cross the border to a neighbouring country. None of these countries are covered by O2 Travel.

Well that has answered that @jonsie So, as I understand it... you are saying  it IS O2's job to inform people?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 30 of 34