cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Femtocells

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi guys,

I live in a fairly rural part of the UK and although the area is supposed to have O2 coverage, it is in fact pretty dire here. I am tied onto o2 for another 13 months with my iPhone and unless something is done by o2 to sort the signal out I will be voting with my feet next June.
Last year o2 & vodafone trialled 'Femtocell' technology. This is an internet based plug in tx/rx device which is stand alone and provides internet based mobile phone coverage inside buildings where there is insufficient signal from normal sources. Vodafone have embraced it and people are now getting the full benefit of full 3G phone signal in their homes/offices.
Where is the o2 version?
I know I'm a little bitter having been a Vodafone customer for many years, leaving just before they announced that they were getting iPhone, but surely o2 are embracing this technology as the o2 signal outside major towns everywhere appears to be generally poorer than my previous provider.
Does anyone have any thought on this and does anyone know if there are any plans for Femtocell technology to appear on the o2 books in the near future?
Message 1 of 100
99 REPLIES 99

Anonymous
Not applicable
It isn't anything to do with the haysystems email, I had that yesterday as well. The o2 unit is the same as the Vodaphone Sure Surf and is made by Sagem.
Message 31 of 100

Anonymous
Not applicable
It isn't anything to do with the haysystems email, I had that yesterday as well. The o2 unit is the same as the Vodaphone Sure Surf and is made by Sagem.

I take it back, I have actually found someone at work with one! 😮
They have not broadcasted it out over the usual channels, it was more by "word of mouth".
Message 32 of 100

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well, I'm relieved that the guy I spoke to was telling the truth. And to think I doubted the word of an o2 representative 😮
Message 33 of 100

darrengf
Level 28: Ingenious
  • 2080 Posts
  • 60 Topics
  • 48 Solutions
So any more news on these little beauties !!
I want one now too lol
Ill trial one for o2 if they want.
Id like 3g coverage grin grin grin
Need Help, Just ask. We are one big Family here in the o2 Forum.
Use iPhone XS Max dual sim, SE, Honor 10, IPad Pro 11, Apple Watch 4 LTE, 100+ Mpbs Barrier and a Record Player.

Message 34 of 100

Anonymous
Not applicable
The trial is coming to an end soon. I know little more than that at the moment but if the results here are anything to go by its been a success.
Message 35 of 100

Anonymous
Not applicable
thats fantastic... when you know a result will you post one. I do hope that o2 will soon sell them or whatever!!!
Message 36 of 100

Anonymous
Not applicable
When I know anything I'll keep you updated.
Message 37 of 100

Anonymous
Not applicable
if the o2 one is sagem, it isnt the same as vodafone's as that is an alcatel unit.
Message 38 of 100

Anonymous
Not applicable
Its Alcatel-Lucent and Sagem. They have joined forces for many products and this is one of them.
Message 39 of 100

darrengf
Level 28: Ingenious
  • 2080 Posts
  • 60 Topics
  • 48 Solutions
Interesting to know and thanks.
Interested in this one.
I have a vodafone contract as well as my o2, but i would happly trasnfer everything to o2.
Lets hope its sooner rather than later and at a good price.
Need Help, Just ask. We are one big Family here in the o2 Forum.
Use iPhone XS Max dual sim, SE, Honor 10, IPad Pro 11, Apple Watch 4 LTE, 100+ Mpbs Barrier and a Record Player.

Message 40 of 100