cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Femtocells

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi guys,

I live in a fairly rural part of the UK and although the area is supposed to have O2 coverage, it is in fact pretty dire here. I am tied onto o2 for another 13 months with my iPhone and unless something is done by o2 to sort the signal out I will be voting with my feet next June.
Last year o2 & vodafone trialled 'Femtocell' technology. This is an internet based plug in tx/rx device which is stand alone and provides internet based mobile phone coverage inside buildings where there is insufficient signal from normal sources. Vodafone have embraced it and people are now getting the full benefit of full 3G phone signal in their homes/offices.
Where is the o2 version?
I know I'm a little bitter having been a Vodafone customer for many years, leaving just before they announced that they were getting iPhone, but surely o2 are embracing this technology as the o2 signal outside major towns everywhere appears to be generally poorer than my previous provider.
Does anyone have any thought on this and does anyone know if there are any plans for Femtocell technology to appear on the o2 books in the near future?
Message 1 of 100
99 REPLIES 99

Anonymous
Not applicable
No one has mentioned a trial for these, afaik there is no trial as they put a halt on the femto trial last year.

You are incorrect.
Message 21 of 100

Anonymous
Not applicable
It's a staff only trial at the moment. Someone who lives here works for them.

ah right, let me know how you get on please thanks!
Message 22 of 100

Anonymous
Not applicable
No one has mentioned a trial for these, afaik there is no trial as they put a halt on the femto trial last year.

You are incorrect.

Well we would know about this as we would be looking at them, so no im not incorrect wink
There has been no mention of any trials for employee's of O2 as we would also see this.
Message 23 of 100

Anonymous
Not applicable
im sorry to disagree but i know that o2 are trialling femtocells again
Message 24 of 100

Anonymous
Not applicable
Tonyb1968 believe me you are wrong. I have the unit downstairs now and have just filled in the o2trial survey. It's a limited trial and probably not open to all employees.
Message 25 of 100

Anonymous
Not applicable
Did you know that the regulars on this forum are quite enjoying the new intake of 'maybe o2 employees' that seem to be turning up lately. It happens now and then. Now if any of you really feel useful and can pass on a joining to the femtocell trial great! Otherwise we will just enjoy your disagreements!
Message 26 of 100

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hey im more than happy to disagree too grin it would have been given to the area that trial the equipments (thats downstairs to where I work) so make your own minds up wink
Message 27 of 100

Anonymous
Not applicable
I don't work for O2. I was only posting because I've been wanting O2 to release a unit for a long time and have regularly checked the forum to see any news. This time though I am the one with the info. Believe it if you want or disbelieve it, I'm just trying to give some clarity to the subject and update those that like my self are interested.
Message 28 of 100

Anonymous
Not applicable
Maybe a picute of the box will help.
Message 29 of 100

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions
Do I detect words being eaten?
Apparently O2 have among other phone companies been offered 100 units to trial which are reportedly superior to the Vodafone model:
http://www.haysystems.com/news/hsl-femt ... not-spots/
To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 30 of 100