cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Femtocells

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi guys,

I live in a fairly rural part of the UK and although the area is supposed to have O2 coverage, it is in fact pretty dire here. I am tied onto o2 for another 13 months with my iPhone and unless something is done by o2 to sort the signal out I will be voting with my feet next June.
Last year o2 & vodafone trialled 'Femtocell' technology. This is an internet based plug in tx/rx device which is stand alone and provides internet based mobile phone coverage inside buildings where there is insufficient signal from normal sources. Vodafone have embraced it and people are now getting the full benefit of full 3G phone signal in their homes/offices.
Where is the o2 version?
I know I'm a little bitter having been a Vodafone customer for many years, leaving just before they announced that they were getting iPhone, but surely o2 are embracing this technology as the o2 signal outside major towns everywhere appears to be generally poorer than my previous provider.
Does anyone have any thought on this and does anyone know if there are any plans for Femtocell technology to appear on the o2 books in the near future?
Message 1 of 100
99 REPLIES 99

darrengf
Level 28: Ingenious
  • 2080 Posts
  • 60 Topics
  • 48 Solutions
So is there any more news on these little femtocells.
Need Help, Just ask. We are one big Family here in the o2 Forum.
Use iPhone XS Max dual sim, SE, Honor 10, IPad Pro 11, Apple Watch 4 LTE, 100+ Mpbs Barrier and a Record Player.

Message 51 of 100

Anonymous
Not applicable
Can anyone provide an update on when/if they will be generally available for the O2 network? I too need one. I've a number of colleagues who have the Vodafone offering and they swear by it. Thx.
Message 52 of 100

Anonymous
Not applicable
There's nothing been announced about a release date, or even (initial)results of the trial yet.
Message 53 of 100

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've still heard nothing since I was last told it will be soon. I wonder if they are having problems with the new units or something.
Message 54 of 100

darrengf
Level 28: Ingenious
  • 2080 Posts
  • 60 Topics
  • 48 Solutions
Keep bringing this one up.
Any news yet?
Need Help, Just ask. We are one big Family here in the o2 Forum.
Use iPhone XS Max dual sim, SE, Honor 10, IPad Pro 11, Apple Watch 4 LTE, 100+ Mpbs Barrier and a Record Player.

Message 55 of 100

Anonymous
Not applicable
The trial's being extended across more people. So depends what you read into this...
Message 56 of 100

Anonymous
Not applicable
Just called O2, they told me the trail is only available to Business customers and that there is no plans for release anytime soon.
Message 57 of 100

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am lead to believe that O2 are trialling femtocells . :womanindifferent:
Does anyone have any new up to date information as signal in London N2 is really very poor indeed. :robotsurprised:
I am a business trying not to call people back on my landline to others mobiles as my mobile signal breaks down so quickly.
Customer services know little except that perhaps a trial for those with 10 or more handsets on their account is the prerequisite
Ho hum
Message 58 of 100

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions
o2 are looking also at other methods like o2connect again in trial at present still uses your wifi but using your router see here http://blog.o2.co.uk/home/2011/11/o2-co ... .html#more
iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 59 of 100

Anonymous
Not applicable
o2 are looking also at other methods like o2connect again in trial at present still uses your wifi but using your router see here http://blog.o2.co.uk/home/2011/11/o2-co ... .html#more

Thanks Adamtemp64
Any ideas how to get hold of Richard Porter, O2's head of consumer mobile products or get on the darn trial?
My lack of signal is upsetting and the whole area I am in is totally ripe for a trial!
Cheers
Steve
Message 60 of 100