cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Femtocells

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi guys,

I live in a fairly rural part of the UK and although the area is supposed to have O2 coverage, it is in fact pretty dire here. I am tied onto o2 for another 13 months with my iPhone and unless something is done by o2 to sort the signal out I will be voting with my feet next June.
Last year o2 & vodafone trialled 'Femtocell' technology. This is an internet based plug in tx/rx device which is stand alone and provides internet based mobile phone coverage inside buildings where there is insufficient signal from normal sources. Vodafone have embraced it and people are now getting the full benefit of full 3G phone signal in their homes/offices.
Where is the o2 version?
I know I'm a little bitter having been a Vodafone customer for many years, leaving just before they announced that they were getting iPhone, but surely o2 are embracing this technology as the o2 signal outside major towns everywhere appears to be generally poorer than my previous provider.
Does anyone have any thought on this and does anyone know if there are any plans for Femtocell technology to appear on the o2 books in the near future?
Message 1 of 100
99 REPLIES 99

Anonymous
Not applicable
Has there been any update here?
Does anyone know what o2s plans are for femtocell rollout?
Message 41 of 100

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions
I've seen nothing in the forum or anywhere else since this thread began.
To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 42 of 100

Anonymous
Not applicable
Getting close to my contract renewal. I'd happily return to O2 if they offered a femtocell.
I read the original posts from earlier this year with some hope.....
Message 43 of 100

Anonymous
Not applicable
They are releasing a fem2cell and this time its a full release(at least from what I've heard). Its a different unit the trial one and is due soon (although its been due soon for a couple of months).
Message 44 of 100

perksie
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions
They are releasing a fem2cell and this time its a full release(at least from what I've heard). Its a different unit the trial one and is due soon (although its been due soon for a couple of months).

It's only hearsay unless you have a source or link for that.
To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Message 45 of 100

Anonymous
Not applicable

It's only hearsay unless you have a source or link for that.

I don't have a link but I havent been wrong in this thread before, my info is good. Up to you if you believe me or not though.
Message 46 of 100

perksie
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions
I don't disbelieve you but It's not possible to conclude anything from that, without something a bit more positive.

Message 47 of 100

Anonymous
Not applicable
There's definitely been a trial going on of about 400 people (think 200 employees, 200 customers) since February or so this year. I'm not aware of any results in the pipeline or even rumours.
Message 48 of 100

Anonymous
Not applicable
The trial I was involved in ended in March. Only had the unit about 5 weeks.
Message 49 of 100

Anonymous
Not applicable
Dear All, just to say that last week I caved in and went Vodafone + sure signal and its GREAT! grin Down side is that you have to buy a new 3g phone 😞
Message 50 of 100