Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dispatch Unit pretending to be O2

Tonyw99
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I've had several calls from "The Dispatch Unit" who gave me the impression that they were part of O2, wanting to talk about my contract.  Firstly, they aren't O2 and it seems fraudulent for them to pretend that they are.  Are O2 aware of their shady activities and what is being done about it?

Secondly, how do they have my information?  Particularly information about the contract I'm currently on?  I would expect only O2 to know what contract I'm on so I am forced to assume they O2 has sold that information.  What other information about me has O2 sold?

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've just had a call from another company who's phone number i've traced back to having some to do with Carphone Warehouse.

Number is now blocked, one of the best things about Android handsets Smiley LOL

I can't blame O2 for this one as my number is pretty old & has been on 3 different mobile networks now.

Message 11 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Tonyw99 wrote:

I've had several calls from "The Dispatch Unit" who gave me the impression that they were part of O2, wanting to talk about my contract.  Firstly, they aren't O2 and it seems fraudulent for them to pretend that they are.  Are O2 aware of their shady activities and what is being done about it?

Secondly, how do they have my information?  Particularly information about the contract I'm currently on?  I would expect only O2 to know what contract I'm on so I am forced to assume they O2 has sold that information.  What other information about me has O2 sold?

They probably guessed about your contract as I'm guessing they won't be allowed access to your account

They Guessed? How many contract options are there on O2??

I meant they wouldn't be allowed access to individual accounts as that would be classed as invasion of privacy & data protection

Message 12 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

Carphone Warehouse are a legitimate trading partner with O2 and they have a number of sub-companies who they use to telemarket.  if one of these companies called you then its legit.

Message 13 of 18

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

Legit?

Even when a company search for The Dispatch Unit shows them as a non-trading company?

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 14 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sounds like one of those phone scams you get offering you a great deal then nothing

Message 15 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
Dispatch Unit phoned me last week. I asked 3 times if they were 02, and they said "yes" each time.
After speaking to them they passed me onto who they claimed was the customer service department, to confirm I was getting the deal discussed with Dispatch Unit.
This Customer Service department turned out to be Carphone Warehouse, and it wasn't easy getting a word in to cancel, as I was lead to believe I was getting an 18 month contract and not a 2 year contract.
Strangely Dispatch Unit knew more about my contract than what I would expect
Message 16 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Dispatch Unit phoned me last week. I asked 3 times if they were 02, and they said "yes" each time.
After speaking to them they passed me onto who they claimed was the customer service department, to confirm I was getting the deal discussed with Dispatch Unit.
This Customer Service department turned out to be Carphone Warehouse, and it wasn't easy getting a word in to cancel, as I was lead to believe I was getting an 18 month contract and not a 2 year contract.
Strangely Dispatch Unit knew more about my contract than what I would expect

thats always the scary part as what else do they know about your account

Message 17 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
Aha , carphone warehouse (CFW) are up to their old tricks once again.

This is the way. It works.

They are an official O2 reseller , (phones and contracts) , to let them do this O2 provide them with limited access to their customer database , this includes ( amongst other things )your telephone number , name and contract expiry date.

They are ONLY supposed to use the data to check your details if you go to them for an upgrade or a change in tarrif.

What they are actually doing is filtering the data to show people who's contracts are about to expire , then ringing you directly to try and get you to switch to paying through THEM.

I had this problem , contacted O2 customer services and they basically told CFW to stop doing this , I hadn't heard from them since.

Now , as I understand it , what they are doing is against the Data Protection Act 1995 ( information must only be used for the purpose it was provided/collected for ) , perhaps a complaint to the Commission might stop them if O2 can't.
Message 18 of 18