cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit File Referrals

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi everyone,

I really hope someone can provide me with some positive feedback!

I've unfortunately been a victim of fraud and an O2 account has been taken out and used in my name for the past 7 years without my knowledge. I have only just become aware of this because my mortgage is up for renewal and it's flagged a default payment last January (2016) therefore going against my credit rating. It was 998 and it is now 560. No lender will touch me with a new mortgage so I need to have this default removed asap. I have spoken with O2 customer services numerous times and they've advised to send my credit report (showing the default) to O2 Credit File Referrals which I have done. She told me that the default will be removed within 48 hours. You can imagine my relief! So I did what she told me to do but I've received an automated reply from Credit File Referrals advising they will come back to me within 10 days! 😞 This was last Friday (27th January) and I'm obviously still waiting. Unfortunately I don't have the luxury of time. The email also advises they are an email only team and not contactable by phone. So it's just a waiting game with no update or clue as to how the investigations going? I've emailed Credit File Referrals numerous times for an update, stressing the urgency of this. No reply.

Has anyone else dealt with the Credit File Referral department? How long after their automated response do they tend to come back to people? And how likely are they to remove this default? Personally I see it as an easy one as I do not live at the address linked to the account, the bank account used to pay for the monthly contract isn't in my name, the new handsets which were sent to the person using the contract were in another name and the phone has now been barred. I'm under a lot of stress waiting to hear from them and I really don't want to get my hopes up. I'm also a member of Experian who have also contacted O2. They are also awaiting a response.

Any feedback would be appreciated! Thanks in advance. slight_smile

Hannah

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
They are not customer facing so all you can do is email them and hope they hurry.
They will deal with it but I can't give you a timescale unfortunately.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 6

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93229 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

Unfortunately there is nothing you can do only wait for their response. In the meantime put a notice of correction on your file as to why it's there and that O2 have said it will be removed.

Message 3 of 6

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10170 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3011 Solutions

I would expect it take longer than 48 hours, as you have also reported a Fraud against you, so i would assume o2 will investigate this first, to ensure that you are telling the truth (unfortunately too many unscrupulous people who try it on), they may also need you to file it with the police and action fraud to get a crime number..

The investigations may take time im afraid.

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 4 of 6

gindygoo
Level 25: Hard Hitter
  • 1340 Posts
  • 59 Topics
  • 27 Solutions
I know I've read on these forums of ppl trying for months to get spurious default notices removed from their credit report. Unfortunately O2 don't seem to ever be in a rush to rectify these default notices, so I'd definitely be prepared for it to take a while.

If you're not satisfied with how things are proceeding you can certainly make a complaint using this new third party complaints pathway

https://www.resolver.co.uk/
Message 5 of 6

Curr946
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 2174 Posts
  • 133 Topics
  • 44 Solutions
Not to be nitpicky but… 1) how do you know the bank account used to pay the bill isn’t in your name? This could very well be possible if you’re a victim of ID theft. 2) How did you find out the address listed on the account? And have you ever lived there? 3) If the account is not in your name, at your address and not connected to an account in your name, then how did o2 link it to you? All seems very strange
Current Phone: Sony Xperia XZ Premium
Message 6 of 6