Did you mean: 

Community Ranks: Help us decide!

Toby
Former Staff
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Hi guys,

One of our members; @MI5 has performed the magnificent feat of reaching the top of our rank system. While this is an awesome thing, it now means that we need more ranks!

Now, we can go about this in 3 ways:

- We change the existing ranks' level-up criteria, so that everyone moves down and the gaps between ranks become wider (I don't like this one ;P).

- We add more on the end, so that we keep what we have, but those nearer the top have more ranks to climb.

- We create a brand new set, using a suggested theme or topic. This one would however take longer to implement.

I'd love to hear from you all and which you'd prefer. Also, any and all suggestions for themes, topics or ranks themselves would be much appreciated. You're the ones who will have the ranks, so take some time to offer your views slight_smile

joker.jpg

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 1 of 86
85 REPLIES 85

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13534 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Still dibs on Lord. ..

Seriously though @Toby.
Just stick a couple of extra ones on top, it's fine how it is.
Message 21 of 86

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 124259 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 7514 Solutions

@viridis wrote:

Seriously though @Toby.
Just stick a couple of extra ones on top, it's fine how it is.

Totally agree. Like I say...if it aint broke blah blah blah....

I have it on Good Authority that should be the case....Bouncy

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 22 of 86

Anonymous
Not applicable

^^^yep agree

Message 23 of 86

jonsie
  • 93283 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 6985 Solutions

Add a few more, 2 or 3 will be enough as I'm not too sure of the life expectancy Rich can expect with all the pressure that such adulation brings (not forgetting the amount of Merlot that seems to pass his lips) 

ps, no offence and very much tongue in cheek or foot in mouth LOL

Message 24 of 86

MI5
  • 146989 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28265 Solutions
I've got a good 20 years left in me yet wink
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 25 of 86

Anonymous
Not applicable

The fact that this "debate" is taking place is evidence, if such be needed, that nobody seems to know why the ranking system exists.  I'd bet it is there for no other reason than the Yanks introduced it somewhere, sometime and as often happens the rest of the world has followed the leader without giving it much thought.

It may be that some Community Members need it to boost their egos (can't really see how that works), others as a "reward" or "recognition" of the amount of time and effort they put into helping others solve their mobile phone problems.  And let's be fair there are a small number who stand head and shoulders above the crowd in the excellence of their contributions.

I am already on record as someone who does not think the system, as it stands,  serves any useful function and indeed can be a negative influence.  For example, if I were an inexperienced mobile phone user who encountered a problem and I came here in hope and expectation of getting help,  I think I would be very wary of heeding any advice offered by someone identified as "quirky", a "relic" or even "apprentice" whereas I might heed a "Good Authority".    This is why, in my opinion, members should be encouraged to give more information about their "bona fides" in the Personal Information section of My Settings as to the type and extent of knowledge and experience they can offer. 

So, to summarise, there is no need for ranking (just as there is no need for Kudos, other than to give Management a weapon to punish us by withdrawing them! Smiley Very Happy).  Less is more and the simpler the better. 

Message 26 of 86

jonsie
  • 93283 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 6985 Solutions

Never thought I would agree with an adopted Irishman but I am sure if you look back to the beginning of the new 'community', we were once a lowly forum, all the members invited to beta test were against kudos and rankings. I am still against them, no need in the real world. Why would you look at someone's ranking to decide whether to heed any advice given?

Most new members posting will have multiple replies all saying roughly the same in different ways. Anyone giving wrong advice is put right by those more knowledgeable.

Many new members are as knowledgeable as older longstanding members. Are we to ignore what they post because they have a silly title?

Let's all just have coloured badges  without silly names.

...Ok shoot me now @MI5@Cleoriff and anyone else. I am Ironman!

Message 27 of 86

Cleoriff
  • 124259 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 7514 Solutions

You are entitled to your opinion @jonsie.

Thankfully as we are a democracy I dont have to agree with it....so I wont LOL

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 28 of 86

jonsie
  • 93283 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 6985 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

You are entitled to your opinion @jonsie.

Thankfully as we are a democracy I dont have to agree with it....so I wont LOL

Yes thank heavens for democracy but you are all wrong, the Thai government told me!

Message 29 of 86

Anonymous
Not applicable

OK, keep the existing names & just add some more for MI5

I like the names ..... the one I didn't like was 'Hard Hitter'

It all adds 'colour' to the forum

Keep kudos btw slight_smile

Message 30 of 86