cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Come on O2 - sort it out - Phantom data charges DESPITE data roaming AND mobile data selected OFF!

RickD
Level 1: Joiner
  • 12 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

OK, now come on O2. Let me challenge you to once and for all put an end to this ridiculous state of affairs. I have travelled worldwide for over 25 years so know the ins and outs of using my decive abroad just in case you think I'm a complete mobile phone tech numpty! Current device Samsung S8, all software up to date etc etc.

BEFORE I depart the UK I switch data roaming off AND mobile data. However when I return to the UK from my trip (usually a few days away each time) I have been billed for "data charges whilst roaming"when the data roaming and mobile data have remained off the entire time. All data usage has been via hotel wifi only.

Worst culprits - South Korea and India

Occasionally the charges are for only a few KB of data so literally a few pence (still annoying) but at other times I get charged for MB of data. I say again...this is all with data roaming AND mobile data selected OFF from before I leave the UK.

Some suggestions on this forum have mentioned switching the phone to airplane mode when abroad but I need to be able to take incoming calls if they're urgent (in which case I accept that I will get charged for accepting those). For the avoidance of all doubt I've taken NO calls during the times when I have been charged for data.

So what on earth is going on? This topic has been discussed for many many years on this forum and also in the UK press. O2 appear to be the worst offenders but other UK mobile operators seem to be guilty of this phantom charging too.

Why can't someone in O2 just explain what is going on. Someone in their tech team must know. So there's the challenge. It's 2019, we have achieved so much with mobile communications but this gremlim still exists and presents a massive headache for us account holders when trying to get O2 customer services to believe that the charges are erroneous and should be removed.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

@RickD Some hotels actually charge for WiFi use. Even if you send one text that will incur the £4.99 a day rule. O2 will not respond to you here. This is a customer forum. You are best calling customer service Guide: How to find help & contact O2 

Message 2 of 8

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Martin-O2 @Chris_K is this something you could get tech to respond to please?

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 8

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
Is it worth checking your data usage by app (either in settings or by installing a data monitoring app) to see if you can identify what is using it?

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 4 of 8

RickD
Level 1: Joiner
  • 12 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I know my data usage. It's all detailed against the itemized charges on my bill and to be honest it's all rather irrelevant. The point is how on earth is any data being used when my device is set to Mobile Data and Data Roaming OFF?

Message 5 of 8

MI5
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
@EmilieT @Marjo ?
I've run out of people to tag now !
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 6 of 8

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
The reason I said to check was to see what was using it when you had it turned off.
Only o2 will tell you why you have been billed for it.

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 7 of 8

jonsie
  • 92913 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

@gmarkj wrote:
The reason I said to check was to see what was using it when you had it turned off.
Only o2 will tell you why you have been billed for it.

I agree. Much of it is self check.

Message 8 of 8