cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buying a 4G phone, not given a 4G simcard.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Has anyone had this problem?

In January I bought  a new Samsung Galaxy S4, refreshed my current contract. Asked specifically for a 4G phone and double checked before I signed the new contract if this was a 4G phone and if I was good to go now. Was told absolutely. Well, put my old sim in and nothing worked. Had the worst mobile internet I've had in ages. Used the live chat to ask if they could confirm that I had in fact a 4G sim card, gave them the details they needed off the sim card and they confirmed I had a 4G sim card. 

3 months later I went into a o2 store to ask because the internet was so slow. Was then told I only had a 3G sim card.

So here's what annoyed me. Paying for 3 months for a 4G contract, and paying for a 4G enabled phone, paying extra for data etc, but not given a 4G sim card. Shouldnt they have some processes in place where they should check that and make sure the customers have the right sim cards? Incredibly annoying.

Anyway, me just moaning. Hopefully others wont suffer the same.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

Anonymous
Not applicable

That sounds like a real pain!

Have you taken it up with the store that you upgraded at? I would have thought that unless your old phone was 4G capable then they should automatically have given you a new SIM anyway...but maybe thats just too much common sense wink

I guess if you really want to complain you could follow the complaints process:

http://www.o2.co.uk/how-to-complain/complain

Message 2 of 4

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

The new 4G SIM cards say 4G on them and their is a help page from O2 that goes through a set up process to tell you what you have and what you need to get to achieve 4G.

Also one needs to be in a 4G catchment area to attain 4G.

I believed they only gave out the new style SIM cards now.

The set up pages are in this link and info that 4G is at no extra cost to customers (T&C apply)

http://mobi.o2.co.uk/pl/svt/si/mo2couk/po/o2uk/pa/got4G

I would give Cs a call on 202 as they will be able to check your account and if they can see what you have stated above I'm sure they would look possibly at a GWG for you.

Message 3 of 4

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 146961 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28263 Solutions
Indeed every new contract does receive a new sim card, regardless. Some people choose to sim swap whilst others just use their original sim (if it's the same size). The fault here is that it should have been checked at PoS which sim card you had and the correct advice given then.
Was this done in store or on line?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 4 of 4