cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beware of O2Recycle (AKA Redeem Ltd) - Read Before Selling Them Your Phone!

Anonymous
Not applicable

If you are thinking about selling your phone to this company, think twice.

I received a quote from them for selling my iPhone 4S 32GB of £105, which I accepted. I sent my phone to them in the pre-paid packaging provided, but before I did so, I took photos of it at every angle, including with the display set to a white screen (to show up any defects).

The phone I sent them was perfect, having only been supplied by Apple eairlier this year as a replacement for a faulty one. I always use wallet-style cases so that the entire phone is protected, including the display. The phone has never been dropped and didn't have a scratch.

Here's where the fun bit starts.

A few days after sending the phone back I received a message from O2Recycle/Redeem Ltd claiming "Screen damage : Discoloured area on LCD (shading)" and offering me just £21.60 - 80% less!

I queried this and asked for photographic evidence, as I had sent a perfect handset to them. I also sent the photos that proved the handset was in perfect order.

I then received a reply from them with a different statement of damage and that Apple's advice is that it must have been dropped. They told me to 'Google it'. Of course I queried this and asked why are they are now stating something different and in any case, to offer 80% less would to me have indecated a screen damaged beyond repair - which was not the case, even if what they were stating were true. 

I also made them aware that I have over 20 years experience working in the high-tech sector, including having deploying and managing many thousands of mobile devices, including iOS devices. Their conflicting claims made no sense and they refused my requests for photographs.. I stated that if their claims were genuine, I would need to make a claim with the Royal Mail (I paid extra to upgrade to an insured service) and photographic evedence was essential for any subsequent claim.

I knew by this stage that this was some sort of scam and the fact that I found almost identical stories from their customers online only went to confirm my suspicions. When faced with the facts I had presented them with, including my photos, they suddenly upped their offer to 50% of what they had promised.

They tried strongarm tactics of saying I had 48 hours to accept, then 24 hours. I instead repeated my request for photographs before they sent my phone back. I insisted that I must have proof of their claims. They again refused this reasonable request.

At this point they decided to just ignore my further emails (there's a pattern of this if you search online). It wasn't until I warned them that my next emails would be to their owner, CEO and also to the CEO of O2 That they replied. I also made them aware that I knew that O2recycle/Redeem Ltd were in negotiations with O2 to renew their recycling contract.

They apologied for "the poor service I had received" and promised to send my phone back to me.

And guess what? I have received my phone back and there is not one sign of damage, just as when I had sent it to them!

This company is nothing other than crooked and O2 should seriously consider investigating them. I may even decide to contact Trading Standards, as no company should be allowed to behave in this way. At the very least it is uneffecal and at worse this could amount to an attempt of fraud or deception.

To add insult to injury, the price companies will pay me for my phone has now gone down during the time of this whole sorry episode.

Be warned!

Message 1 of 91
90 REPLIES 90

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Let me know how you get on @Anonymous. I'll help however I can.

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 31 of 91

Anonymous
Not applicable
i've sent you a private message, so please respond to that with any assistance you can offer.
Message 32 of 91

Anonymous
Not applicable
Check O2 website - I remember that their recycle offer price was on the basis of 'normal wear and tear' i.e. any slight degradation expected with age and normal use is anticipated in the buyback offer price... Redeem need to be challenged on this.
Message 33 of 91

Anonymous
Not applicable
I offered her the opportunity to pay me the price quoted, based on their original Terms and Conditions, or return the phone. She says it will be back within a 'few working days'. we'll see what it's like when it come back, but that could open a whole new can of worms!!!
Message 34 of 91

Anonymous
Not applicable
... and check who you need to take action against. Redeem are a subcontractor to O2 so the legal responsibility is O2's. It is their website terms (https://www.o2recycle.co.uk/pricematch.aspx) and I handed my phone in at an O2 shop and they offer to pay by credit to your O2 account.... so hold O2 to account in the first instance
Message 35 of 91

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 94424 Posts
  • 611 Topics
  • 7033 Solutions

If they offer a decent price, people are happy with it, fair enough but these leeches are literally stealing money, our money, whilst being endorsed by O2.  Criminal and sharp practice and to think the contract has been renewed with O2. Makes Fifa look almost acceptable and as ever we the customers are being defrauded. 

Message 36 of 91

Anonymous
Not applicable
So 7 months after I posted this O2 Recycle still up to their dodgy practices? Note that posters today have had the EXACT same shocking treament from them as I did.

Do you want to know how disgusting they are?

Only last week I sold the same handset, the one they told me was worth next to nothing to CEX for £120! They tested it for 30mins and said there was nothing wrong with it.

Caveat Emptor.
Message 37 of 91

jonsie
  • 94424 Posts
  • 611 Topics
  • 7033 Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
So 7 months after I posted this O2 Recycle still up to their dodgy practices? Note that posters today have had the EXACT same shocking treament from them as I did.

Do you want to know how disgusting they are?

Only last week I sold the same handset, the one they told me was worth next to nothing to CEX for £120! They tested it for 30mins and said there was nothing wrong with it.

Caveat Emptor.

I've used CeX twice now, and I was impressed with their offer on both occasions. I think you've got to be wary of any business that markets itself as a "recycling" service, because that phrase is clearly intended to lower the seller's expectations of their device's likely value. CeX on the other hand, does a roaring trade in buying and selling electronic goods, and if you're the sort of person that looks after your handset (always using a protective case for example) then you should be able to expect a sensible price.

Edit: just to clarify, I was able to visit my local store, and after about an hour of testing, they paid me the top valuation based on this grading system.

Message 39 of 91

jonsie
  • 94424 Posts
  • 611 Topics
  • 7033 Solutions

Totally agree @Anonymous, the trouble is that people see O2 recycle as an easy option. Then they get the absolutely fraudulent claims that these people think are acceptable business practice. I've only ever used CEO once to sell a phone and the beauty is that the phone is presented to them, they inspect it in good working order and you factory reset in front of them. No waiting for a derisory offer either. You say yes or no but at least they don't try to con you!

Message 40 of 91