cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beware of O2Recycle (AKA Redeem Ltd) - Read Before Selling Them Your Phone!

Anonymous
Not applicable

If you are thinking about selling your phone to this company, think twice.

I received a quote from them for selling my iPhone 4S 32GB of £105, which I accepted. I sent my phone to them in the pre-paid packaging provided, but before I did so, I took photos of it at every angle, including with the display set to a white screen (to show up any defects).

The phone I sent them was perfect, having only been supplied by Apple eairlier this year as a replacement for a faulty one. I always use wallet-style cases so that the entire phone is protected, including the display. The phone has never been dropped and didn't have a scratch.

Here's where the fun bit starts.

A few days after sending the phone back I received a message from O2Recycle/Redeem Ltd claiming "Screen damage : Discoloured area on LCD (shading)" and offering me just £21.60 - 80% less!

I queried this and asked for photographic evidence, as I had sent a perfect handset to them. I also sent the photos that proved the handset was in perfect order.

I then received a reply from them with a different statement of damage and that Apple's advice is that it must have been dropped. They told me to 'Google it'. Of course I queried this and asked why are they are now stating something different and in any case, to offer 80% less would to me have indecated a screen damaged beyond repair - which was not the case, even if what they were stating were true. 

I also made them aware that I have over 20 years experience working in the high-tech sector, including having deploying and managing many thousands of mobile devices, including iOS devices. Their conflicting claims made no sense and they refused my requests for photographs.. I stated that if their claims were genuine, I would need to make a claim with the Royal Mail (I paid extra to upgrade to an insured service) and photographic evedence was essential for any subsequent claim.

I knew by this stage that this was some sort of scam and the fact that I found almost identical stories from their customers online only went to confirm my suspicions. When faced with the facts I had presented them with, including my photos, they suddenly upped their offer to 50% of what they had promised.

They tried strongarm tactics of saying I had 48 hours to accept, then 24 hours. I instead repeated my request for photographs before they sent my phone back. I insisted that I must have proof of their claims. They again refused this reasonable request.

At this point they decided to just ignore my further emails (there's a pattern of this if you search online). It wasn't until I warned them that my next emails would be to their owner, CEO and also to the CEO of O2 That they replied. I also made them aware that I knew that O2recycle/Redeem Ltd were in negotiations with O2 to renew their recycling contract.

They apologied for "the poor service I had received" and promised to send my phone back to me.

And guess what? I have received my phone back and there is not one sign of damage, just as when I had sent it to them!

This company is nothing other than crooked and O2 should seriously consider investigating them. I may even decide to contact Trading Standards, as no company should be allowed to behave in this way. At the very least it is uneffecal and at worse this could amount to an attempt of fraud or deception.

To add insult to injury, the price companies will pay me for my phone has now gone down during the time of this whole sorry episode.

Be warned!

Message 1 of 91
90 REPLIES 90

Cleoriff
  • 126414 Posts
  • 832 Topics
  • 7558 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous

I would've requested the phone back if honest. This happens many times with O2 recycle as you will see from the posts on this forum. A bit late now but we advise taking pictures of the phone before you send them off...and enclose a copy in the jiffy bag. People who go the 'extra mile' make things difficult for O2 recycle to pull this stunt on them

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 21 of 91

Anonymous
Not applicable
i have pictures and used their own packaging. I think £195 to £39 is disgusting. Then they have the ability to offer £94 all of a sudden.
They know full well a screen is around £100 so they are just pulling a fast one.
It's coming back so i can use it as evidence for various consumer protection sites etc, and then it's not in the same condition when it comes back, i'll take legal action against them.
Message 22 of 91

Cleoriff
  • 126414 Posts
  • 832 Topics
  • 7558 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
i have pictures and used their own packaging. I think £195 to £39 is disgusting. Then they have the ability to offer £94 all of a sudden.
They know full well a screen is around £100 so they are just pulling a fast one.
It's coming back so i can use it as evidence for various consumer protection sites etc, and then it's not in the same condition when it comes back, i'll take legal action against them.

Good for you...you obviously have got this under control. Wish you all the best with it wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 23 of 91

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 94389 Posts
  • 611 Topics
  • 7033 Solutions

They offer crap money all the time and it's a favourite trick to make out that the phone has problems. They are a joke.

Message 24 of 91

Anonymous
Not applicable

I cannot believe O2 put their name to this poor service. 

Perhaps it's time to have a think about how important this facility is and if it's worth losing customers over. I'm within my 14 days on the new phone, and seriously tempted to drop O2 over this. Just a shame they will not even notice or care! 

Message 25 of 91

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13536 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
They are nothing short of illegally gaining goods by deception.
What they CONSTANTLY do is illegal, deceitful and a scam.
I'm shocked that a large company such as O2 put their name to these con artists.
Message 26 of 91

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi gonesailing

Of you look at may posts last year you will see the same happened to me... but when I asked for the phone back they suddenly paid the full price. INSIST they send the phone back as this will prove their tactics are fraudulent...

I really am suprised that Redeem still have the contract.. I wrote to Ronan Dunne whose office promised to look into it... but obviously he has not done 

Message 27 of 91

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous,

Sorry to hear about this. Please send me a private message with any other details (and your O2 number) and we'll look into this for you.

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 28 of 91

Anonymous
Not applicable
The phone is coming back and Apple confirm that the 'slight deterioration of the quality/sharpness of the pixels that make up the LCD display unit' will be covered under the two year warranty if i haven't caused the damage.
Apple will also confirm there are no faults with the phone, if that's what they find, and i can take this back to O2 and Redeem as part of my action against them.
Message 29 of 91

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 94389 Posts
  • 611 Topics
  • 7033 Solutions

Do you Apple care? You will struggle getting anything warranty wise after 12 months. Good luck with this.

Message 30 of 91