cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BEWARE YOU DON'T GET STUNG!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Accidentally while using my phone I went over my minutes allowance because I thought I was calling a free land-line and I was in fact calling a mobile. The call cost me £8.828 but then as I had gone over my minutes I was then charged £1.109 for a 6min 31sec call then £0.085, £3.22, £3.342, 34p, 10,2p and on and on until it came to £19.39, nearly £20 = nearly £24 inc. VAT all for accidentally going over once!
When I rang up the customer services to complain I was told that there was nothing they could do (although back in January 2008 they kindly waived an accidental over use) and that I would have to pay the full amount or have my service restricted. After much arguing and haggling I managed to get them to accept half now and half next month.
Now I have been a loyal O2 customer since the days of BTCellnet and expected better service.
There was no warning that I had gone over my minutes and I continued to get Stung for the rest of the month!
So my warning to other O2 customers is;
BEWARE YOU DON'T ACCIDENTALLY GO OVER YOUR MINUTES 'COS O2 WON'T GIVE YOU A REFUND!
And my complaint to O2 is;
Why do you have to be so "Nickle & Dime" and will you please give your customers some warning that they have gone over their minutes, please.
What can we do about this problem?
Well what I've done when I got "Stung" once before over internet charges was to reduce my monthly payments by £10 per month thereby saving myself £120 per year and this time when my contract is due for renewal I shall reduce it by another £5 a month or £60 per year so you see O2 will have lost £180 a year from me and every other customer who uses this system of reducing and clawing back costs, so ultimately they have lost money for not being very understanding, not good business really! Whatever happened to "The customer is always right"?
Alternatively you could change your service provider! But I like O2 and always have, shame they've gone downwards!
Message 1 of 51
50 REPLIES 50

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

Thank you ancientferguson for taking the time to really listen to my point and to not just have a cheap laugh at my expense as so many others have seen fit to do!
Good on you!

I suggest you read his post again, then look up "irony" in the dictionary. :mansurprised:
To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 41 of 51

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you ancientferguson for taking the time to really listen to my point and to not just have a cheap laugh at my expense as so many others have seen fit to do!
Good on you!

I suggest you read his post again, then look up "irony" in the dictionary. :mansurprised:

Well if ancientferguson says on here that he was merely being ironic and therefore taking the p then I will have to admit it. Otherwise I shall continue to believe what I do, that he is the only decent human posting a reply and anyway I still don't regret warning my fellow humans of a pit-fall that I fell into and a way to recoup my losses. I still contend that O2 could have met me halfway at least because they will now lose business from me, which would have easily re coped £24 to them so as I said it is bad business on their part because the customer is always right because the customer has the money that they want. Hope that I have made that clear enough for you.
Message 42 of 51

Anonymous
Not applicable
The only thing you have made clear is that, having thrown your doll out of the pram, you wanted o2 to pick it up for you and your feelings are hurt because they won't.
Af's irony ought to have been apparent, just look at my own response to it.
The customer cannot always be right because occasionally that customer turns out to be an idiot. grin
Do you fancy having a proper discussion about this and answering my serious questions? These have been posed in the hope that I might understand where you are coming from so that I can help you gain a better understanding.
Most other contract users don't need warning about this issue any more than they need help getting dressed in the morning.
Message 43 of 51

Anonymous
Not applicable
The only thing you have made clear is that, having thrown your doll out of the pram, you wanted o2 to pick it up for you and your feelings are hurt because they won't.
Af's irony ought to have been apparent, just look at my own response to it.
The customer cannot always be right because frequently that customer turns out to be an idiot. grin
Do you fancy having a proper discussion about this and answering my serious questions? These have been posed in the hope that I might understand where you are coming from so that I can help you gain a better understanding.
Most other contract users don't need warning about this issue any more than they need help getting dressed in the morning.

No thanks, you have already shown your hand. I will only talk to Af, thanks for your concern. P.S. The customer must always be kept happy and I shouldn't need to explain that to you again! Think on cleaver clogs.
Message 44 of 51

browni
Level 21: Regular
  • 2241 Posts
  • 35 Topics
  • 10 Solutions
Accidentally while using my phone I went over my minutes allowance because I thought I was calling a free land-line and I was in fact calling a mobile. The call cost me £8.828 but then as I had gone over my minutes I was then charged £1.109 for a 6min 31sec call then £0.085, £3.22, £3.342, 34p, 10,2p and on and on until it came to £19.39, nearly £20 = nearly £24 inc. VAT all for accidentally going over once!

Are you trying to say that the chargeable call to a mobile took you over your free minutes allowance?
#siwy
Message 45 of 51

Anonymous
Not applicable
For the OPs benefit, taken from the airtime agreement terms and conditions:
5.4 We cannot set usage limits on your account and you will be liable for all Charges incurred by use of the Service under this Agreement whether incurred by you or anyone else using your Mobile Phone (with or without your knowledge). You must pay the Charges to us or as we direct.
wink
Message 46 of 51

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions
It's obvious to everyone here but I don't think the OP will ever get it.
There appears to be a gap in their understanding that nobody can break through.
To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 47 of 51

Anonymous
Not applicable
Clever clogs is it? grin
FYI "the customer is always right" was a marketing slogan coined by Maceys department store in the 19th century. It has never been a business rule for any company, including the firm that invented it.
The customer should be kept happy, but not at ANY price. The customer should also be educated that their tariff has limits, otherwise what would be the point of having differing pricing levels?
Message 48 of 51

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks everyone who helped in one way or another! One or two could not grasp why I was upset, but never mind! Just heard calls to other networks are to be reduced by 80% by law so we will not be as stung in the future! tongue
Message 49 of 51

Anonymous
Not applicable
Not for o2. o2 are planning on increasing there phone prices and reducing allowances to make up for the cutting costs. Only customers from Three will really benefit from this
Message 50 of 51