cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BEWARE - SMS becomes MMS without warning unless you adjust settings

Anonymous
Not applicable

Recently got an S4 to replace my beloved S2.  Was surprised to note that I had been charged for 4 text messages as MMS messages.  Discovered the reason - I was silly enough to include a "smiley" chosen from the provided list of options. After wading through Settings I found an option to display a warning when a bog standard SMS is going to be treated as MMS.   Typical O2 underhand dealing in my view.

Message 1 of 36
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi.

Someone who is new to the network can be surprised to find this happens when text messages have inclusions such as emoticons etc.

Here is an O2 link on mms.

http://service.o2.co.uk/IQ/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE?New,Kb=Companion,question=ref%28User%29:str%28Mob...

Alternatives such as sending them via e mail , viber or what's app exist. Although they do need the other party to have these downloaded too.
Message 2 of 36
35 REPLIES 35

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi.

Someone who is new to the network can be surprised to find this happens when text messages have inclusions such as emoticons etc.

Here is an O2 link on mms.

http://service.o2.co.uk/IQ/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE?New,Kb=Companion,question=ref%28User%29:str%28Mob...

Alternatives such as sending them via e mail , viber or what's app exist. Although they do need the other party to have these downloaded too.
Message 2 of 36

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93353 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 6986 Solutions

You can set the S4 to warn you when it converts SMS to MMS in the message settings. Simply tick the box.

Nothing underhand really, just need to be vigilant.

Message 3 of 36

Anonymous
Not applicable
You can also push on the menu key and then on insert smiley that brings up a list of smileys you can add in which don't go as mms
Message 4 of 36

MI5
  • 147268 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28301 Solutions
Not clear how this is O2's fault as every network does the same and it's part of the phone software....?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 5 of 36

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

I blame the Tories and the underhand way they set the SMS/MMS limit 😉

Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 6 of 36

Anonymous
Not applicable

The point I was trying to make in my clumsy way is that O2 (rather than the phone maker or the software designers) are the people who benefit from the exorbitant charge of 35p per MMS (if not included in tariff). The default should be NO automatic change from SMS to MMS without warning.

I rest my case, m'lud.  :O))     (hope emoticon that does not incur a hidden charge).

"Verbum sat sapienti..........."

Message 7 of 36

Anonymous
Not applicable

An extract from the page for which you kindly gave us a link:-

"Note – Your phone will tell you if it is changing your message to an MMS (picture message). Keep your eye out for it and don’t ignore it."

In my case my phone did NOT tell me any such thing - but I did eventually find the relevant setting.

Anyway, all's well etc and I have had my 30 seconds of moaning, so onwards and upwards!

Message 8 of 36

MI5
  • 147268 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28301 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

the exorbitant charge of 35p per MMS

I'd have to agree with that - I'm still trying to work out why that tiny bit of data used in an MMS isn't included in your data allowance (I have 8Gb data so could send something like 10,000 MMS per month). Of course the answer is "profit" wink

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 9 of 36

Anonymous
Not applicable
40p as of today
Message 10 of 36