cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

texting

Anonymous
Not applicable

I recently changed my account to a pay as you go option, keeping my same number, the same phone, and the same provider O2 - but a new sim card.  At this point my mother's texts to me would no longer come through to me, although she gets mine????  She lives in south africa, and is elderly, so its important she can reach me.  But my texts go to her, and I send and get texts from other people there and other countries. I've even had someone use my mum's phone and check the numbers in case the problem was there - but I seem to now have some blocked numbers in terms of receiving texts.

Clearly nowadays most of us communicate over wifi, but my mum doesnt have wifi - so this is her only option.  I havent blocked her - I checked in case it had been done accidentally.  I even went to the closest O2 to me for them to have a look and their best suggestion was to change the sim again - it doesnt work.  My mother now texts my husband and I text her - but that's crazy.  What else?

My phone's an iphone 7s if that makes any difference.  Really appreciate some input.  

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 149608 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28517 Solutions
Have you tried deleting her contact from your phone and yours from her and re-adding them?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 2 of 4

Anonymous
Not applicable
Can you confirm the type of phone your mother and your husband use?

The problem sounds typical of when users change handsets, and iMessage registration isn’t updated. Though from what you’ve described, I’m unclear as to how this applies in your case.

It would useful to rule this out by exchanging messages with both an iPhone and non iPhone user.

Not everything in phone and network set up always makes sense. Check your iMessage and iCloud settings to make sure nothings got upset in the sim swap. In desperation, I’d try re- registering for imessage
Message 3 of 4

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12630 Posts
  • 95 Topics
  • 1155 Solutions
I would check that the change of sim has gone through properly - sounds a bit like a partial port problem (I realise that it is not exactly like that, but this issue has arisen on number porting).
Contact o2 to make sure they switched it over correctly.
Are you having issues with anyone else?

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 4 of 4