cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 5s - no 4G at launch?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, I've read the blog post and just checking i've got this right...

http://o2lin.kr/O2iPhone5sc

"iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c are both 4G ready devices that will be enabled to run on our 4G network within the coming weeks – this will happen when new settings are ready to be sent by Apple and we will inform customers when they are available. Customers who buy iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c on a 4G tariff before this update happens will get £5 off their bill for one month. Until the update, customers can still use all the data that comes with the 4G tariff and enjoy enhanced versions of O2 Tracks and Priority Sports on our 3G network."

Does that mean that the iPhone 5s on O2 is 3G only on launch day and then we have to wait for Apple to release an update before we can access 4G? How long is "within the coming weeks"...?

I'm worried that I pay for a new iPhone with no idea when it will become 4G. Is this right...?

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

That's certainly the way it reads, maybe the site admin team can clarify the situation?

Message 2 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

Certainly a reasonable question.

I certainly hope we don't get the same situation talked about recently about some Samsung s4 owners having to wait for a patch to turn on 4G !

Message 3 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

It'll be a simple carrier update .... they happen occasionally anyway ... it just needs for O2 to provide Apple with the necessary setup details (APN/usernames / passwords that you see in the 'mobile data' section along with other details about bands etc .... then apple can sent out a carrier update via itunes or over-the-air

Might take a little time for O2 to finalise their setup and for apple to turn that around

Message 4 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

Maybe this explains why O2 isn't included on Apple's list of LTE carriers.

O2's marketing and twitter dialogue is quite misleading. I'd be gutted to upgrade and not have 4G working out of the box. I'm going to wait for the phone to be 4G enabled before I consider upgrading. 

Message 5 of 16

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

By the time it's launched and O2 have sufficient stock to fill orders I suspect everything will be in place.

Message 6 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
I will update you on this as soon as I get info.
Message 7 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I will update you on this as soon as I get info.

Much appreciated Chiara.

Message 8 of 16

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions
Hi guys,

At the moment, all the info I have is as you have seen on 'The Blue' that irishjonny linked to.

As soon as I have more exact details, I shall let you all know.

Thanks very much, Toby
Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 9 of 16

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

As I explained here http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Apple-iOS-Devices-iPhone-iPad/What-is-meant-by-Band-20-800DD/m-p/523952... apple have t approve the o2 lte network with real world testing

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 10 of 16