cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 5 v 5S signal strength disparity

Anonymous
Not applicable

There are numerous times when my wifesi Phone 5 and myiPhone 4S and since I have upgraded to a 5S, are having differing signal strength indications whilst in the house.  My wifes phone will often indicate 2/3 bars and mine will have "no network found" (even when side by side). It never seems to be the other way around.  When I get 2/3 bars she has the same.  This happened with my 4S and I thought maybe when I upgraded the problem would disappear.  Wrong.  I am getting the same problem.  That is not to say I don't get any signal.  I do get a signal but it has never been stronger than 3 bars as we are some distance from the mast.  However that is sufficient for most things especially with a strong WiFi signal. The problem seems to be with txt messages and I often get the "failed to send" notification.  My thoughts are that some app or something else on my phone is causing this.  When I upgraded I just "restored from back up" when I set up the 5S.

Anyone any ideas at all - or is this just an enigma!?

Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I received ->

Excellent - my Galaxy Note 4 shows -92 and has 1 bar of H+  Shocked

Message 11 of 25

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for sharing. Wonder if the op has a poor reading
Message 12 of 25

Anonymous
Not applicable

The other thing I find strange is my phone often indicates No Network in a know strong signal area.  If I switch to Airplane mode then switch that off again, the phone finds the network and continues as normal - odd?!

Message 13 of 25

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm getting -102! Not very good I assume.
Message 14 of 25

Anonymous
Not applicable

Mine is -105!  Not very good I assume?

Message 15 of 25

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 149128 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28467 Solutions
Phone sounds like it needs surgery.....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 16 of 25

Anonymous
Not applicable

Getting -105 shows that signal strength is poor.

Try turning off 3G through the settings menu and test signal strength again.....it may just be a 3G issue.

Message 17 of 25

Anonymous
Not applicable

How do I turn 3G off - I can turn off 4G but I cannot find where to turn off 3G?

Message 18 of 25

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 149128 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28467 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

How do I turn 3G off - I can turn off 4G but I cannot find where to turn off 3G?

You can't on an iPhone anymore.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 19 of 25

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for all your help I think I will go into an O2 shop and see what they say.  Also I will probably trim down the phone to its basics then add apps slowly to see if any of them affect the issue.  Could take a long time as this is an intermittent problem!

Regards

Message 20 of 25