cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection to my synology nas

Anonymous
Not applicable
Ok so I have a synology nas and I can connect fine to it on my WiFi but when I’m on 3G or 4g it’s very hit and miss. I’m first thinking signal strength but it worked perfect one day in places it didn’t before and even in very low signal places. So I’ve been looking into my up while on data and ip while on WiFi. They are different and the one on data changes a lot. I think it’s due to the different addresses and some getting blocked some not, maybe. I have opened some ports on my router that the synology apps use but would o2 block a port on their end? As it only wont connect (sometime) while on the data?
Message 1 of 23
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hey it’s all good it’s all sorted now I did get the problem again after we spoke but it was a silly little problem and all my fault. When I was setting up port forwarding on my router and it asked for an IP address I should have put the synology nas address not my router IP address. So basically it wasn’t opening the full path but it seems good for a few days now x thank you all

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 23
22 REPLIES 22

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143404 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
O2 tell us they don't block any ports but we know from others that they either do or some just simply don't work.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable
Do you thinks it’s more likely my nas is blocking the ip as it keeps changing or that o2 and blocking the ports on certain IPs. If I do a search on google port forward checker it says the port I want is closed that’s all
Message 3 of 23

MI5
  • 143404 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Unlikely to be your nas, but if you can check by using an EE sim to see if you can connect to it over 4g.
If you get the same issues with a different network the problem is likely with the nas, otherwise it's with the network.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yeah I was thinking of trying a different sim and see if that did anything. I tried on my sons phones and it seemed ok but it’s very intermittent and unpredictable so I’m not sure how to really test it. Sometimes it lets me access everything sometimes just see the folder structure others not login at all.
Message 5 of 23

MI5
  • 143404 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Intermittent ones are the worst to figure out.
Good luck.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable
I know right. I just seem to think it’s due to the up changing. But thank you and merry xmas
Message 7 of 23

MI5
  • 143404 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Merry Christmas to you too mate and let us know if you figure something out please.

Currently using:
Message 8 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you it seems ok at the moment don’t know if it’s something I’ve done by messing or if it’s just waiting to not work but we will see I’ll keep trying if it drops again. Thank you
Message 9 of 23

MercedesS
  • 1192 Posts
  • 17 Topics
  • 18 Solutions

Hello @Anonymous

We are glad to see that @MI5 helped you! Technical problems are complex Destroy

Please let us know if there's something else we can do to help!

Welcome to the O2 Community and we hope to see you around Wave

Get involved! If a post answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution”.If you are new to the community, please read How to use the community
Message 10 of 23