cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 5 - 3G Usage Extremely High

Anonymous
Not applicable

I bought the iPhone 5 on Friday afternoon and got around to switching it on and setting it up just over 24 hours ago. I set up wifi straight away and have been using this since I set it up. It was only about 6 hours ago when I left the house that 3G wasn't working, even though it's all switched on on the phone.

I called o2 who said that something had not been activated by Phones4U (where I bought the phone). They said that it could take up to 5 working days for the 3G to start working but it's usually working within 24 hours. She said to keep resetting network settings every now and then to see if it was working but that I'd receive an email when it was activated.

Was just wondering from other users' experience, is this actually likely to take 24 hours or closer to the 5 working days as it would be somewhat of an inconvenience if that was the case?

Message 1 of 36
35 REPLIES 35

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5 wrote:
Unless you have the data bug.... http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Apple-iOS-Devices-iPhone-iPad/iPhone-5-iOS6-massive-data-usage/td-p/309...

How would I know if my phone has this bug? For moderate use, how much data should I expect to use a day?

Message 11 of 36

Anonymous
Not applicable

use an app such as dataman to track how much you are using & which apps are using the most data

Message 12 of 36

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144828 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27772 Solutions
I use wifi at home and 3g when out. For normal checking of emails, facebook, twitter etc I use around 300mb a month so around 10mb a day.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 13 of 36

Anonymous
Not applicable

same here, turn off mobile data while at home or in the pub as it has wifi, everywhere else i use my data if i need too

Message 14 of 36

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5 wrote:
I use wifi at home and 3g when out. For normal checking of emails, facebook, twitter etc I use around 300mb a month so around 10mb a day.

I'm surprised then that I've used 5MB today when I was only using 3G for about 10-15 minutes. I don't do anything other than checking emails, Facebook, Twitter etc.

Message 15 of 36

MI5
  • 144828 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27772 Solutions
Keep your eye on the usage just incase, however, you will use more for the first few days on a new phone whilst it does the initial syncing on all your accounts. Subsequent syncs will transfer less data.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 16 of 36

Anonymous
Not applicable

Also acquire the Onavo Extend app which shrinks data.  I'm a fairly casual user of data but find these days I do use around 500 Mb of my 1 GB allowance.  I have the Data Usage app to monitor what I use.

Message 17 of 36

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Also acquire the Onavo Extend app which shrinks data.  I'm a fairly casual user of data but find these days I do use around 500 Mb of my 1 GB allowance.  I have the Data Usage app to monitor what I use.

Is this app free to use? 
Message 18 of 36

Anonymous
Not applicable

It looks like there might be something going on here. I left the house for literally half an hour, therefore using 3G for that time. In that time, I read a couple of messages coming through from Facebook and did a bit of browsing on my Twitter feed. In this time, I used 8.56MB.

This blows my mind. I've downloaded the recommended app which will hopefully solve this issue but still, I find this a bit odd when I was told 1GB would be plenty for my usage. I'm going to be out of the house all day tomorrow so it'll be interesting to see how much I use then.

If this sort of usage continues, can anyone recommend what I should do about it? The reason I chose this plan was because of the price and because I was told 1GB would be plenty. I can't really afford to be adding another 500MB-1GB a month on top. This seems ridiculous considering the sort of things I'm doing on my phone. I'm hardly downloading films am I.

Message 19 of 36

jonsie
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

Make sure you turn location services off. A lot of apps track your location constantly.

Message 20 of 36