Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is O2's 4G Data SO LOUSY????

DinoF
Level 12: Nimble
  • 603 Posts
  • 39 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

Yep, me again, complaining about O2's ridiculius 4G coverage EVERYWHERE!!!!

Normally, I'd be saying its VERY poor at London Bridge rail station (well, actually, it STILL is) however, these last few months, its literally VERY POOR EVERYWHERE..........:smileysad:

Main areas I am talking about:

• London Bridge Rail Station - 4G is pretty much non existant. 4G typically has 2-3 bars wheras 3G has a full 5 bars and 3G is actually more than twice as fast loading apps/websites.
  • In my office, near Canon Street - post code EC4N 8AD  (where I sit next to window, so this should not make ANY difference). 4G gets 1 to 2 bars of service, 3G gets a FULL 5 bars.3G is more than twice the speed of 4G.
  • At Sanderstead Rail station - 4G gets 1 to 2 bars of service, 3G gets a FULL 5 bars and again, is more than twice as fast as 4G.

Its EVERYWHERE - 4G is ridiculous........... so much so, that I have decided to just leave my iPhone 6, connected via 3G ALL THE TIME (there are options to switch from 3G to 4G and vice versa) purely because its MUCH MUCH faster, browsing app and websites than 4G.

4G?

No thank you - its utterly broken. Destroy

Rolleys

Message 1 of 59
58 REPLIES 58

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

I'm guessing London is so totally overscribed that 3G is the way to go. Never had a problem with 4G in the Manchester and Liverpool area in fairness.

Message 2 of 59

MI5
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Yeah, sounds like there are just too many people using it and the infrastructure is not capable of supporting them all.
More investment needed I guess, but it likely won't happen until the whole country has seen the roll outs completed.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 59

Toby
Former Staff
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Hi @DinoF,

Sorry to hear you're not happy and I'll share this with the network team. Has 4G gotten worse, or has it simply been at this level consistently for you?

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 4 of 59

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@DinoF So the choice is...

1) Move network

2) Move house/work....

The second one does appear a tad drastic though...:smileywink:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 59

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've always had 4G turned off......to me i cant see the point unless you want to stream Ultra HD films!!!  Its just a battery draining gimmick as far as i'm concerned  Fear

Message 6 of 59

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions
I remember the days when home broadband via the BT network was the same......too many subscribers in particular areas overloaded the exchanges' capacity.

It'll get better in London but not yet.
"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 7 of 59

DinoF
  • 603 Posts
  • 39 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

@Toby wrote:

Hi @DinoF,

Sorry to hear you're not happy and I'll share this with the network team. Has 4G gotten worse, or has it simply been at this level consistently for you?

I woulld say that 4G has been extremely slow over the past year actually but as all the other posters have stated, sounds like its a case of too many users all trying to access 4G - in London anyway.

I'll just have to keep 3G switched on instead.

It is weird though as when I go down to the coast to see relatives (Bexhill-On-Sea), I can stand on the beach and my 4G there is lightning fast  - almost as quick as wifi!!!!  As soon as I come back to my area (South London), it just grinds to a halt!!!!

Too many users - leave some 4G for me please!!!! Crazy

Message 8 of 59

Anonymous
Not applicable

I never have any problems with 4G anywhere but I'm guessing as its London the network will be congested so not exactly o2 fault 

Message 9 of 59

DinoF
  • 603 Posts
  • 39 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

@DinoF So the choice is...

1) Move network

2) Move house/work....

The second one does appear a tad drastic though...:smileywink:

...not sure moving network would do the trick though - no doubt 4G wil be crammed in them as well!!

Message 10 of 59