cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unexplained large data use

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yesterday I had around 120 mb of data left.

I was setting my new iPhone up earlier and received a text message telling me that I had used 80 percent of my allowance. At that point I checked on My O2 app and I had 45 mb remaining, this was around 3 hours ago.

I have just received another text saying that I have used all of my allowance up.

I have my iPhone 6 Plus beside me, on wifi, plugged into my computer and I'm in the process of adding my apps, music etc on to it through iTunes.

I can remember a couple of years ago I had the same thing happen, and it was just after a new iOS release!

Has anyone else had an unexplainable large data use like I have?

Message 1 of 95
94 REPLIES 94

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5 wrote:
I have a three payg sim in my tablet and it's great for what I need. I get good coverage around my area too.

Most of yesterday evening I was comparing tariffs from the various networks. From what I could see Three and giffgaff looked the best value for a decent amount of data. with Three been the better value when you need more data due to their all you can eat data option.

I have a few friends on Facebook who live in the same town as I do and are on Three, so I asked what their coverage was in this area and a few other areas nearby.

The replies were mostly postive with some saying (who had been on O2) that the coverage was as good and some said Three were the best network they'd been on. So Three seem worth a try.

I think what I'll do is buy one of the Three sim cards on Pay And Go for £10, which gets you, 3000 texts, 100 minutes plus 500MB of data, this lasts for 30 days. So this will be enough time to try them out in the areas I'm at the most and see how they compare with O2. If they are as good then I think I'll change.

I've always been happy with O2 in the 15 years that I've been with them, but having looked at the other networks, I'm finding them really poor value for money if you want a decent amount of data. If I decide to leave, I'll see what the O2 CS will offer, but I can't see them been able to match what Three would be able to give me, but its worth a try.

I'll update this thread with how I get on in due course slight_smile

Message 31 of 95

Cleoriff
  • 123142 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7472 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous  That sounds like a really good idea to try out ...I look forward to reading your results wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 32 of 95

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cleoriff wrote:

Hi @Anonymous  That sounds like a really good idea to try out ...I look forward to reading your results wink

Yeah it will be very useful for me having the option to go on to a no commitment pay and go sim to see how they compare with O2.

Message 33 of 95

Cleoriff
  • 123142 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7472 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

@Cleoriff wrote:

Yeah it will be very useful for me having the option to go on to a no commitment pay and go sim to see how they compare with O2.

It will be great for others also...to see the results of your tests and checks

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 34 of 95

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

Good luck with this, I'm also looking at a new network when I come back from holiday. I've tried all the networks apart from Three so I'm interested to see what your experience is. Up to now EE gives the best option for me.

Message 35 of 95

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jonsie wrote:

Good luck with this, I'm also looking at a new network when I come back from holiday. I've tried all the networks apart from Three so I'm interested to see what your experience is. Up to now EE gives the best option for me.

Just got a pay and go sim for Three and I  am trying them out as I type this.

ill say one thing though, the Three app is lousy compared to O2 app slight_smile

Message 36 of 95

jonsie
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

I've said before that the My O2 app is excellent and by far the best of any O2 app.

Message 37 of 95

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm finding it easier and more reliable than the Three app, to just bookmark the My3 webpage and check my remaining allowance through Safari.

Message 38 of 95

Anonymous
Not applicable
I somehow used 500mb in the first week since launch and could work out why as I hadn't really used cellular data much.

Just checked app usage and Speedtest is showing 366MB of usage!! I did a few speedtests to see how fast the O2 4G coverage was by me however wouldn't expect it to use that much data. I thought it only downloaded a small file to test the speed
Message 39 of 95

MI5
  • 144688 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27733 Solutions
Speedtest apps can use up to 80mb a time - It catches many people out 😞
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 40 of 95