cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tethering Issue

Anonymous
Not applicable

I bought a sim free IPHONE 5 to replace my 3gs. Very happy with it and no problems. Except when I tried to set up tethering. When I tapped "Setup Hotspot" i get a message referring me to http://www.02.co.uk/iphonehelp/modem" saying tethering needs activating on my account.

As far as I was aware tethering was previously active. Guru says that it is because I have an old tariff that doesnt work with the new phone so I need to change my tariff. I am not convinced that this is related to my new handset. I fail to see why the handset should really be that aware of my tariff and that the truth is O2 trying to force me off my unlimted data tariff. O2 no longer offer unlimited data tariffs that I can see. So much for O2 loyalty looks like I will have to change provider. Unless anybody had any success with this?

Message 1 of 15
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tethering may help

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

View solution in original post

Message 15 of 15
14 REPLIES 14

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93262 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 6985 Solutions

You do need an iphone specific data for tethering and as far as I'm aware the old tariffs with unlimited data do not allow tethering. I too am on unlimited data and would not change it unless I had reason to.

If you change network be sure to ascertain that any tariff you chose would have the tethering option.

Message 2 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

I think I'm in the same boat, tethering just doesn't work and it probably never will on the old tariffs. I contacted O2 about the same thing last week but they never responded, that's customer service for you. I'm guessing they will say the same as with you anyway.

I wouldn't hold onto your "unlimited" tariff just because it's "unlimited" for the reasons below. O2 essentially do not honour the contract they originally signed you up onto and when there are problems like mine below they don't seem to be able to sort them out.

My "unlimited" data bolt on didn't stop O2 from blocking me for almost an entire month late last year - I essentially could not use any data for almost a whole billing month. I was syncing my phone with iCloud and unfortunately my broadband router went down overnight meaning the sync was mostly over the O2 network. Nothing I could do about it unfortunately. I got a text message off O2 the next morning saying this:

"O2: You're using a lot of data this month, which my start to worsen the experience for our other customers. If you continue to use a high amount of data this month, we may have to slow down or stop your data allowance until your next bill day. If we do this we'll text you. To avoid this, we recommend you use Wi-Fi."

Erm... but I'm on unlimited. I understand the fair usage policies that were introduced after I signed a contract with O2 but I checked and I had used just over 4GB. Hardly even close to what I think many would consider a fair use of "unlimited". Then just with normal usage of emails and iMessage over the next day or two I got this:

"O2: You've used an extremely high amount of data this month, which has started to affect the experience of our other customers trying to use data. To be fair to all our customers, we've been forced to slow down your data speed until 21/11/12 which is your next bill date. To experience a faster data speed, we recommending using Wi-Fi until then."

I thought ok they may reduce my speed. I can live with that for a while. But despite this stating I was just on a slower speed, nothing worked at all. Every app or anything data related just timed out. I contacting O2 several times and explained the problem to them. At first they told me there was a block on my account and they had removed it and to wait a day. Still didn't work after a day. Then the next time they told there was no block on my account and to check my phone and network settings. I explained that it worked perfectly right up until I received the message from O2 that they were going to slow me down. The O2 support employee I chatted to on the online support tool basically could not help me and was arrogant and argumentative, saying things like "You need to believe in what I'm saying". I have the transcript from the O2 chat tool to prove this (it emails it to you).

They clearer didn't understand the technical processes they were asking me to perform and wasn't really listening to my problem. All they were suggesting was changing my network settings when that was obviously not the problem. I obliged and went through various network setting changes and resets but nothing helped as I was clearer blocked from the network side. I was trying to show that I had done all the necessarily steps to rule out the phone and settings. I asked for second level support number and all they could give me was the standard 202 number when I had already spoken to first level support two or three times. 

I gave up in the end having got exactly zero help from O2 support. And yes, there was nothing wrong with my phone or my network settings because on the exact day of the next bill date from the text message above it all started to work fine again. The text message from O2 stated I would get a reduced speed, not zero service. And that was with what I would not consider close to a huge amount of data on an unlimited tariff (just over 4GB).

Message 3 of 15

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

Difficult but on the older unlimited tariffs tethering was not allowed.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 4 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

I fail to see why. They have a fair use policy now. What difference does it make to them if I use the data on my Iphone or use it as a modem to my laptop? Why are they being deliberately difficult other than they want to force us off the unlimited tariff. They are not honest enough to come right out and say it.

I agree with ChrisLondon the attitude of the support staff is arrogant bordering on being down right rude to their paying customers. Why have I been loyal to them for so many years?

I will look elsewhere.

Message 5 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
When you have the option to jailbreak their are tweaks available.
Message 6 of 15

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

What difference does it make to them if I use the data on my Iphone or use it as a modem to my laptop?

Because you will use a load more data on a laptop than on a phone.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 7 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

My phone is sim free anyway what are the tweaks?

Message 8 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

"Because you will use a load more data on a laptop than on a phone."

That is not true at all I could use a lot of data downloading music and videos to my iphone.

They have a fair use policy. What is the difference to them where I use my data?

The only reason I wanted this was because my broadband went down last night and I needed to use something on my laptop so thought I could temporarily tether to get round the problem.

Message 9 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

My phone is sim free anyway what are the tweaks?

Unfortunately you cannot jail break the iPhone 5 a6 chip as of yet !

Message 10 of 15