cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange data usage post iOS 7 upgrade

Anonymous
Not applicable
Since upgrading my iPhone 5 to iOS 7 my cellular data usage for certain apps has gone crazy - as an example I was on Facebook for 2 minutes & it used 5mb, two checks of Twitter accounted for 3mb & opening three separate web pages used 5mb. Likewise, in the space of five days, System Services have accounted for 7mb, with the main usages being Push Notifications, Messaging Services, iTunes Accounts & DNS Services.

I have location services turned off for everything barring maps. I have all system services turned off. I've done a network reset. Siri is off. Email is only downloaded manually. Basically everything that could be turned off is turned off (except cellular data & 3G as there's no point having an iPhone if you're not going to use the internet).

I've done pretty much everything recommended in this post - http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Apple-iOS-Devices-iPhone-iPad/High-data-usage-on-iphone-5/td-p/513836

In addition to the weird usage, my iPhone tells me I've used 40mb since going to iOS 7 (fine for a week's use) but the O2 app tells me I've used 75mb in the same period.

Can anyone offer any words of wisdom?
Message 1 of 10
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
Download Onavo to offer more insight into the usage.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 2 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
Check apn settings to ensure your on the right settings and contact 02 customer services to ensure your on an iPhone tariff.

http://www.geeksquad.co.uk/articles/chapter/595-04-how-to-set-apn-settings-for-the-02-mobile-network
Message 3 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the quick response - my settings are correct & I am on a Simplicity Tariff (bought an unlocked iPhone 5 last year & it's been fine until now).

I've downloaded Onavo so let's see what that tells me...

Thanks again.
Message 4 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
If you have moved from another make of phone to an iPhone them you need to speak to 02 to put you on the right settings.

Good luck.
Message 5 of 10

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

not needed in ios 7

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 6 of 10

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
Check apn settings to ensure your on the right settings and contact 02 customer services to ensure your on an iPhone tariff.

http://www.geeksquad.co.uk/articles/chapter/595-04-how-to-set-apn-settings-for-the-02-mobile-network

Again not needed the op has a working data connection

Apple Watch series 4
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 7 of 10

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
If you have moved from another make of phone to an iPhone them you need to speak to 02 to put you on the right settings.

Good luck.

The op has a working dataq connection why???

Read the op and digest before replying

Apple Watch series 4

Message 8 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
wink

Message 9 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

Onavo not only points out what apps have used data, it does also shrink data so the app may still have some use??

Message 10 of 10