cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

International calls going straight to voicemail

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all,

I'm on iPhone 4S... Travelling in the US at the moment and expecting an important call from my bank. Nothing was coming through despite the bank's protestations and then I noticed I had about 10 voicemails from them - despite not receiving a single call.

Everything is turned on in my 'Cellular' settings for accepting calls (Cellular Date, Data Roaming) but still they seem to be going straight to my voicemail.

Does anyone have any suggestions? O2 may be closed for Easter Sunday but the bank isn't!!

Thanks Cat Happy

Message 1 of 9
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

I cannot offer any more advice are you still receiving normal calls as that would rule out any account issues.

O2 do have the free for pay monthly contact number

From abroad+44 844 809 0200Free‡

But it is a bank holiday today so not sure if you will get through

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

A strange one.

All you need for calls to work is it not to be in airplane mode the data settings have no effect on voice calls.

You did not set up divert calls to voice mail before leaving the uk?

You have done all the usual things like turning iphone on and off etc?

Ensure that you have settimgs>carriers automatic on.

What is shown as the carrier at the top of the iphone?

Apple Watch series 4
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 2 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Adam,

Thanks for the reply - I didn't set the phone to divert... didn't do anything, just got on the plane as per usual and turned on when I landed!

Turned phone on and off, carrier is currently on automatic and connected to AT&T with full reception....
Message 3 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
Not sure if it makes a difference, but the call I'm expecting is an automated one - basically Halifax calls after setting up a bank transfer and I have to enter the pin from the computer screen. I spoke to them and they suggested it was my service provider rather than them. I just want to pay the bank some money!!
Message 4 of 9

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

I cannot offer any more advice are you still receiving normal calls as that would rule out any account issues.

O2 do have the free for pay monthly contact number

From abroad+44 844 809 0200Free‡

But it is a bank holiday today so not sure if you will get through

Apple Watch series 4

Message 5 of 9

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions
Let us know how you get on furcoat slight_smile

Thanks Adam for offering advice.

Toby
Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 6 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
Ho did you manage to fix the problem as I also have a 4s and am having the same problem with Halifax money transfers
Message 7 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi -

The problem never got resolved and I just ended up emailing my mum with all my security details so she could set it up for me! Not ideal.

Still no idea what the problem was as I continued to receive calls fine from other numbers. Sure it's down to it being an automated call... Good luck!
Message 8 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just thought I'd update this discussion to let people know a workaround in case anyone is still struggling with this.

Had the same issue with my girlfriend and her iPhone 6 however we weren't abroad - we were in the UK.

Whenever Halifax would ring to verify the bank transfer she'd receive a voicemail instead. We urgently made a payment so the quickest workaround was to divert all calls to my mobile so I could type the 4 digit verification code. I've written a post about it on my blog with details on how to divert calls on Vodafone http://www.bondystechtips.com/lifehacks/halifax-bank-app-telephone-verification-call-going-to-voicem...

Message 9 of 9