cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IPad abroad

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have 2 iPads, a 2nd gen and a new Air.
Both are 3G, the 2 has a dormant sim and the Air a new sim.
Both were/are £10/month 1g data.
The 2 always worked abroad, it gets the local carrier here in Austria now, but with no data as the payments have stopped.
The Air can't connect to any Austrian carrier, despite being a live data account being payed for.

Any suggestions? Various people on here say the data sims are UK only, so how come the old 2 worked, and still sees a carrier, but the new Air doesn't...???!!
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 149432 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28496 Solutions
That was always my understanding that the data sims only worked in the UK with your allowances but I guess it's possible to top up and use credit when abroad?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 11 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable
I was under that impression too.

Their has been past threads on the same subject.

Perhaps @Toby and @Anonymous can officially clarify please.
Message 12 of 17

Cleoriff
  • 126004 Posts
  • 832 Topics
  • 7551 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
That was always my understanding that the data sims only worked in the UK with your allowances but I guess it's possible to top up and use credit when abroad?

Is that just with the IPad @MI5  or any device?Smiley Frustrated

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 13 of 17

MI5
  • 149432 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28496 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

@MI5 wrote:

Is that just with the IPad @MI5  or any device?Smiley Frustrated

Any data only sim that gives an allowance in exchange for a monthly fee is for UK use only.

What I don't know (as I don't have a data only sim) is if it can be topped up like a payg sim and data use be charged for out of the credit?

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 14 of 17

Cleoriff
  • 126004 Posts
  • 832 Topics
  • 7551 Solutions

I don't have the answer to that at all.... obviously. wink

I think we agreed though that when I had the initial struggle with my HP Slate when in Spain...It would be better for me to buy a local sim...of course that was not necessary (for me) when I had Wifi installed in apartment.....:smileywink:

However...thats a bit different to the OP's dilemma....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 15 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've asked for clarification.
Message 16 of 17

MI5
  • 149432 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28496 Solutions
It'll be useful info for the memory bank....
Message 17 of 17