cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hotmail security issues on iPhone - an issue with O2?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi all - sorry, not sure where else to post this!

My hotmail account is set up on my iPhone to fetch my emails hourly. This morning I received an email from Microsoft telling that there had been unusual activity on my account and that I should review the sign-in history for my account. Upon checking this, I noticed that a POP3 server was accessing my account on an hourly basis from an IP address assigned to O2. I assume this is hotmail via O2 as this is pretty consistent with previous days? I also noticed however, that a couple of attempts had been made to sign into my account with a correct password. Again, O2 was the ISP. I freaked out that my account was being hacked into and set-up a much stronger PW, but is it possible that this wasn't a real attempt by someone? Is there any possibility that for some reason my iPhone was trying to sign me back into my account for some reason with the credentials I supplied? Thanks, H
Message 1 of 6
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi both - many thanks for replying.

Yes, PW is strong now (not one of those I can easily remember), and I've also set-up second authentication....It's been about 24 hours and no emails from Microsoft yet. Sort of inclined to permanently switch to gmail now as it might be more secure.

I thought it might have been a fake email (looked totally authentic) so yes, signed on directly by searching in Safari. On the other hand, if it was a real email from Microsoft then it had to be the two "correct pw supplied" entries. Hence, why I thought the best case scenario would have been my iPhone doing this instead of a random bod.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

Firstly you did right by changing your password just incase. slight_smile

I have hotmail which is Pop3 set up on my iPhone too set to fetch ,but have not received any of the warning messages you have had from Microsoft.

Since changing your password have you had any further messages from Microsoft ?

Your iPhone just receives any emails sent out by your server after it checks at the period set by you in the settings.
Message 2 of 6

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Some times these emails can be scams so always sign in via your Web browser and not through any email links.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi both - many thanks for replying.

Yes, PW is strong now (not one of those I can easily remember), and I've also set-up second authentication....It's been about 24 hours and no emails from Microsoft yet. Sort of inclined to permanently switch to gmail now as it might be more secure.

I thought it might have been a fake email (looked totally authentic) so yes, signed on directly by searching in Safari. On the other hand, if it was a real email from Microsoft then it had to be the two "correct pw supplied" entries. Hence, why I thought the best case scenario would have been my iPhone doing this instead of a random bod.
Message 4 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

Thanks for the update.

I'm hopeful things should be ok now.

slight_smile
Message 5 of 6

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
It could have just been someone trying to sign in to their similar email account but getting it wrong but in all honesty it sounds like your phone pinging the server.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 6 of 6