cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Facetime setup on iPhone etc

Anonymous
Not applicable

I recently was having issues with using Facetime between my iPhone and iPad. I managed to solve it by doing the following.

Basically when I was trying to Facetime my iPad from my iPhone, It would show on my iPhone's screen that my iPad was busy at this time, but yet the iPad rang once and went off.

Here's what I did:

On the iPad:

Go into Settings, down the left handside of the screen choose Facetime.

Next touch the Apple ID and sign in, and select email address for to be reached at.

Make sure in the YOU CAN BE REACHED BY FACETIME AT section,  that you only have the the email address ticked.

On the iPhone:

Go into Settings, scroll down until you see Facetime, touch this.  On the next screen, make sure that you ARE NOT signed in with Apple ID. And only have phone number selected, in the YOU CAN BE REACHED BY FACETIME AT, section.

Facetime should now work perfectly.
Message 1 of 27
26 REPLIES 26

Anonymous
Not applicable
i guess so, but whether its my phone number or email address all my devices ring
Message 11 of 27

Anonymous
Not applicable

You're right jimthing0 in saying that there are 2 ways to go in setting up Facetime depending on whether you want to treat your devices individually or collectively.

I did go down the individual route like Fatboy since my friends will only facetime me via my phone number. Also my wife uses my iPad quite a lot, and sometimes takes it with her on a business trip.

It's the same with iMessage, but there I went down the collective route.

Message 12 of 27

jimthing0
  • 412 Posts
  • 23 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
i guess so, but whether its my phone number or email address all my devices ring

And as the OP mentions...  FT-ing yourself on your other devices: how on your set-up? (though I cannot think why exactly, lol!?) 

Yep, there seem to be several ways one might want this set-up depending on your usage. 

Message 13 of 27

Anonymous
Not applicable
yeah i think thats why im confused about FT'ing myself grin

but i guess it would help say you left the iPad at home and you went away on holiday you could facetime home to someone looking after the cat.
Message 14 of 27

jimthing0
  • 412 Posts
  • 23 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
yeah i think thats why im confused about FT'ing myself grin

but i guess it would help say you left the iPad at home and you went away on holiday you could facetime home to someone looking after the cat.

Or the cat themselves! Meow meeeeoooow, ha-ha. tongue

Yeah, erm, it could happen, lol.  

Just not an 'everyday' type of issue really.

But then as buffbuff said, the key is whether devices are shared or not. 

As if they are, you may want the OP's (fatboy) methodology, so they can be contacted from the others in the household, rather than my initial grouped method. 

But there are useability compromises in doing either. 

Message 15 of 27

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jimthing0 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Basically when I was trying to Facetime my iPad from my iPhone, It would show on my iPhone's screen that my iPad was busy at this time, but yet the iPad rang once and went off.

Here's what I did:

On the iPad:

Go into Settings, down the left handside of the screen choose Facetime.

Next touch the Apple ID and sign in, and select email address for to be reached at.

Make sure in the YOU CAN BE REACHED BY FACETIME AT section,  that you only have the the email address ticked.

On the iPhone:

Go into Settings, scroll down until you see Facetime, touch this.  On the next screen, make sure that you ARE NOT signed in with Apple ID. And only have phone number selected, in the YOU CAN BE REACHED BY FACETIME AT, section.

Facetime should now work perfectly.

Who FaceTimes themselves? The reason for FT, is so that other Apple device users trying to contact you can do so, which you'll be able to pick-up on any of your devices. 

In our household we have an iPhone, iPad. The iPad stops at home. If I'm out and have my iPhone with me and I need to contact my girlfriend, I have the choice of been able to FaceTime the iPad.

The description I provided in my initial post was the method I used to set up both the devices to allow me to do this.

Message 16 of 27

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks fanboy, I'm always having my phone n I pad calling at same time - this will help. While I'm on when using FaceTime from my I pad I can see n hear the caller perfectly but they can only see me they cannot hear me just a crackling noise - it used to work perfectly but now I'm stuck with this issue, any ideas?

Message 17 of 27

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks fanboy, I'm always having my phone n I pad calling at same time - this will help. While I'm on when using FaceTime from my I pad I can see n hear the caller perfectly but they can only see me they cannot hear me just a crackling noise - it used to work perfectly but now I'm stuck with this issue, any ideas?

Re the crackling noise issue.

Have you got any earphones (such as the ones that come with you iPhone) that have the mic on the cord, for allowing you to talk hands free. If you have it might be worth trying these in your iPad, and doing a Facetime call and speaking into the mic on the earphone cord to see if the caller can hear you. If they can, then it could be a fault that has developed with the mic on the iPad.

Message 18 of 27

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks fatboy ill get some n try it out!
Message 19 of 27

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Thanks fatboy ill get some n try it out!

Ok, lets know what the outcome is slight_smile

Message 20 of 27