cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barred Phone / Insurance

Anonymous
Not applicable
Bought an IPhone 6s as a gift for my mate it came with a new number but he put his own 02 in , we had a disagreement so barred the phone as its in my account name, went to Unbar it now they say the phone is black listed from an outside insurance which I don't understand , the phone is not lost damaged or stolen, which I have explained numerous times getting sent from one dept to another anyone had this problem before please ?
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122826 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

@Anonymous When you had a bar put on the phone you must have reported it lost or stolen. O2 wont bar any phone just because someone asks them to. (Otherwise people falling out could have phones barred or blocked willy nilly!) The IMEI becomes blacklisted because someone may find a lost phone and try and use it.

You would need the PUK code to unbar... this is usually when you block it inadvertently...but I doubt O2 will do this now ....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 7

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

If you barred the phone then that is the problem. If an insurance company has blacklisted the phone then at some point it has become the subject of an insurance claim, either by yourself or your friend. Ultimately the phone now belongs to the insurance company if there has been a successful claim. You need to prove that the phone is yours and that you haven't blocked the IMEI.

If it's not been an insurance claim then O2 will have blocked it at your request and you need to tell them the phone has been recovered.

Message 3 of 7

MI5
  • 144191 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27633 Solutions
Sounds like your friend made an insurance claim for a new phone?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

Did you actualy give the phone as a gift or agree to len him the phone ? If you gave the phone as a gift, then there is nothing you can do about it, if it was just lent to him then you will need to get the police involed as it sounds like he has done an insurance claim.  Really deoends who actualy "owned" the handset

Message 5 of 7

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Cleoriff
  • 122826 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

There is obviously much more to this... 

Difficult to tell if the op had the phone barred...or his friend. It could be interpreted as either. However the fact remains the account is in the OP's name.....(or so we are told) wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 7