Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

£1 data charge on PAYG and MMS

Viewfinder
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 33 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I've had a read through the other threads involving the £1 data charge being deducted on PAYG for data use, most of them recommending disabling Mobile Data on an iPhone.

However, what I can't find in the forum yet is that I'm pretty sure MMS photo messaging on an iPhone needs Mobile Data enabled to send MMS, correct me if I'm wrong.

I do have MMS Messaging enabled under Settings > Messaging but it always requires Mobile Data enabling otherwise MMS fails.

On my old old Samsung slide phone, I was able to use MMS over 3G and not once did I get the £1 charge, but on the iPhone I don't think I can see how I'm able to send MMS over 3G without Mobile Data?

Any thoughts?

Message 1 of 13
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

pay and go  is not my area of expertise but I'm gonna guess from a technical point of view its all the same. mms works over data,no data connection setup, mms doesnt work, but I've never seen anybody being charged data to send an mms, mms has it's own set cost.

have u rang cs 4445 and ask them to clarify?

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93252 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

When I had the iphone I couldn't send mms unless mobile data was enabled.

Message 2 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes you do still need a network data connection to send and receive mms.
Message 3 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

pay and go  is not my area of expertise but I'm gonna guess from a technical point of view its all the same. mms works over data,no data connection setup, mms doesnt work, but I've never seen anybody being charged data to send an mms, mms has it's own set cost.

have u rang cs 4445 and ask them to clarify?

Message 4 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
Sending a mms does not actually use any data but in order for mms to be sent data has to be turned on in your phones settings.

If a person has a data allowance in their Payg tariff all is good.

If no data allowance or a person has run out and does not add a bolt on then a Payg customer is charged £1 per day for 50mb of data use called Web Daily.

http://www.o2.co.uk/termsandconditions/mobile/pay-and-go-web-daily-web-daily-bolt-on-monthy-web-bolt...
Message 5 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
Mms does have it's own cost yes. However in order to send an mms you need to have a data connection turned on. When your data connection is turned on, if you don't have a data bolt on, you will be charged £1 a day for web daily.

Smartphones use small amounts of data all the time so it is almost impossible to flip data on, send the mms, and then turn data off without being charged Web daily.
Message 6 of 13

jonsie
  • 93252 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

There is a problem whereby if data is switched on any app that updates in the background will use the data connection and the £1 webdaily will be triggered.

Message 7 of 13

MI5
  • 144576 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27727 Solutions
On Android you can keep data off and MMS will still work as the system recognises that a connection is required so will automatically enable it. iPhones aren't quite so clever wink
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 8 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

Again, this just a guess, I think the system is probably charging them not for the mms data connection but for all app updates that were pending to be downloaded because data was off.

I'm going to search the forum now to see if i can find anybody talking about this.

I shall investigate!!

Message 9 of 13

MI5
  • 144576 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27727 Solutions
You are charged 40p (or whatever the PAYG rate is) for MMS - There is no additional data charge or requirement, but yes, if you turned on data to send an MMS the system will hijack the connection for it's own needs......
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 10 of 13