cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacement iPhone 5's, Are they new Phones or Refurbs...?

Anonymous
Not applicable

From Apple or your network provider, Carephone Warehouse etc.

If you have an issue with your iPhone 5, are the replacements 'NEW' phones or Refurbs?

How can you tell the difference?

When someone gives a phone back for whatever reason, I am sure the retailer just gets someone to repackage the phone as new again and sell on to another customer, True? Smiley Frustrated

Message 1 of 12
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

Either way, you will get a iPhone as good as a brand new one. I can remember reading somewhere that refurbs go through more tests than new iPhones.

If the refurb is scratched, marked etc, take it back and demand a replacement and do this until you are happy with the one you receive. For what the iPhone costs, don't accept anything your not happy with!

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

Liquid
Level 44: Clearly Talented
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
Generally you can't tell if a phone is a refurb without digging into recovering files from the memory.

Generally the phones would be refurbed but to a very high quality replacing any offending parts. You wouldn't be able to tell without digging sorry.
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 2 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
interesting to say the least...

As long as the phone is clean from the outside no scuffs, scratches etc there is no way of knowing 😞
Message 3 of 12

Liquid
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
Pretty much. Unfortunately with the iPhone 5s either scuffed phones or unblemished could be new or refurb with all the issues with ascetics at launch.

They're to the quality of a new phone and the likelihood is they've been tested much more thoroughly before being out back to market. (Good thing to some extent:))
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 4 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

http://service.o2.co.uk/IQ/srvs/cgi-bin/webcgi.exe?New,KB=Companion,question=ref(user):str(mobile),C...

Clearly states in here the replacement policy but I will add dependent on the age of a handset and the condition it is in, then there are slightly different avenues to go down. 

Can I ask what the question is for? Why are you asking? We might be able to give you a straight answer if we know all the facts.

Message 5 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

Steersy,

I have always wondered what does really happen when we exchange phones, and always thought they would be refurbs cleaned up and packaged as new.

I am worried when I get my iPhone 5 black next week from Carphone Warehouse that it will be already scuffed from new and it will be a knightmare to get a replacement and when I do, it will probably be a refurb which could be even worse.

Message 6 of 12

Liquid
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
You'll be fine, I'm sure CPW has worked it's way through the dodgy stock. Quality control is much better now and I have heard of any issues since the beginning of November:)
Message 7 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Liquid, I hope you are right, IF not I will be back on here spitting blood lol grin
Message 8 of 12

Liquid
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
I hope I'm right as well haha. The thread we had about the scuffs died off and the one on apple forums is dead. So should be fine:)

If you start spitting blood head back into CPW I'm sure they'll do pretty much everything for you.
Message 9 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well the only reason I am going to carphone warehouse is that the phone on upgrade will be £65 cheaper than going into a O2 shop 😕 O2 did offer me £50 off if I done it with them over the phone but it's the same thing as carphone warehouse will still be supplying the phone. At least instore I can have a look at the phone before I leave the shop lol instead of it being delivered to my house and then the hassle of going back to the shop etc...What a mess O2 have done with all these price differences, £65 is a lot of money 😞
Message 10 of 12