cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jail Break recommended by O2.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm getting loads of unwanted calls each day about PPI claims (I'm probably not the only one here who gets the same) so I went on live chat just now to O2 to see if they could get the numbers blocked from calling me (there are two main culprits).

The Guru told me I need to download iBlacklist and to google this which I did and found the phone needs to be jail broken to use it. I told the Guru this and he said that O2 would jail break my phone for me by calling 202. 

Called O2 and the guy said that jail breaking is something I do NOT want to do as it could cause my phone to become nothing but a brick. He then said he would check this for me and put me on hold, I've been on hold for 8 minutes so far....

Has anyone else had this advise from O2?

Has anyone else got iBlacklist?

Message 1 of 5
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

@version7point0 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Another myth is jail-breaking could "brick" your phone. Utter nonsense.

True to an extent, go ahead and void your warranty by jailbraking, then watch iTunes brick your device when you try to backup / restore / update tongue

Hi,

I've been jail-breaking iphones for just over 3 years and have never bricked a device.

Many posts on forums like MacRumors saying "help, I've bricked my device"  turn out to be the owner not doing enough homework and panicking.

The only true issues that arise on the iphone 3 or 3gs when people are playing around with their basebands using ipad basebands etc and not really knowing what they are doing. This is people trying to unlock their iphones to all networks circumventing the official route and not a part of jail-breaking.

I back up to icloud and itunes every week with no issue.

Ive needed to restore once when i decided to go back to stock for a while with no issues.

Updating to a new iOS is what jail-breakers avoid unless a new jail-break tool is available to re-jailbreak.

Regarding voiding your warranty.

Apple 'may' decide not to look at the device if its jail-broken.  http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3743

Your warranty is fully restored after a restore !

I'm not saying people dont have issues with jail-breaking but its normally down to lack of knowledge.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

Some odd advice from O2 there.

This might help:

http://www.o2.co.uk/support/generalhelp/howdoi/safetycontrolandaccess/nuisancephonecalls;jsessionid=...

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 2 of 5

Anonymous
Not applicable
Omg !

Customer Services can't jail-break as it has to be done with your phone hooked upto a pc and the software tool downloaded to run it.

As apple see jail-breaking as a break of warranty terms 02 wouldn't do it anyway.

Ref iblacklist some users of this tweak say it works and some say not.
I've used the tweak to try it out and found it to work.
Message 3 of 5

version7point0
  • 648 Posts
  • 13 Topics
  • 181 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

True to an extent, go ahead and void your warranty by jailbraking, then watch iTunes brick your device when you try to backup / restore / update tongue

Message 4 of 5

Anonymous
Not applicable

@version7point0 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi,

I've been jail-breaking iphones for just over 3 years and have never bricked a device.

Many posts on forums like MacRumors saying "help, I've bricked my device"  turn out to be the owner not doing enough homework and panicking.

The only true issues that arise on the iphone 3 or 3gs when people are playing around with their basebands using ipad basebands etc and not really knowing what they are doing. This is people trying to unlock their iphones to all networks circumventing the official route and not a part of jail-breaking.

I back up to icloud and itunes every week with no issue.

Ive needed to restore once when i decided to go back to stock for a while with no issues.

Updating to a new iOS is what jail-breakers avoid unless a new jail-break tool is available to re-jailbreak.

Regarding voiding your warranty.

Apple 'may' decide not to look at the device if its jail-broken.  http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3743

Your warranty is fully restored after a restore !

I'm not saying people dont have issues with jail-breaking but its normally down to lack of knowledge.

Message 5 of 5