cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 iphones receiving the same text message together??

Anonymous
Not applicable

My daughter and I both have iphones.  She has my old one and I have a new one since last Thursday.  When I send her a text message I get it in my inbox too.  Its like I send it to her number and my own??  When she adds a contact on her phone I get it too?  Some how these phones are synced?  Does this have something to do with our Apple id for both phones?  What do I need to do to sort this out??

Message 1 of 6
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

davethorp
Level 21: Regular
  • 1035 Posts
  • 11 Topics
  • 38 Solutions

You only need to have a separate AppleID set up in the messages and facetime app to fix this issue. You can keep the same AppleID for the iTunes and AppStore and there are advantages to doing so in that you wont need to purchase the same app multiple times to put it on both phones.

This is the exact setup our family's iPhones, iPads and iPods have and it works fine with iMessages and Facetime kept separate but store purchases available on all devices

To sort the contacts issue she will need to delete your iCloud account in settings/iCloud and sign in with her AppleID to create a new iCloud account for her. You may have to delete the iCloud account for her if you have find my iPhone set up and activation lock is on

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Im assuming your both using the same Apple i.d

She needs to create her own Apple i.d and update it into her iphone.

https://appleid.apple.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/MyAppleId.woa/

To enter her own.

Settings > iTunes and App Store > Tap on the current apple i.d and log out then log back in with your new one.

Settings > Messages.

Turn off iMessages the turn it back on with new AppleID.

Go into settings > Messages > Send & Receive > Your new apple i.d should show there.

Settings > iCloud.

Delete the account then turn it back on with new AppleID.

Message 2 of 6

davethorp
Level 21: Regular
  • 1035 Posts
  • 11 Topics
  • 38 Solutions

You only need to have a separate AppleID set up in the messages and facetime app to fix this issue. You can keep the same AppleID for the iTunes and AppStore and there are advantages to doing so in that you wont need to purchase the same app multiple times to put it on both phones.

This is the exact setup our family's iPhones, iPads and iPods have and it works fine with iMessages and Facetime kept separate but store purchases available on all devices

To sort the contacts issue she will need to delete your iCloud account in settings/iCloud and sign in with her AppleID to create a new iCloud account for her. You may have to delete the iCloud account for her if you have find my iPhone set up and activation lock is on

Message 3 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

Good Call Dave,

Personally I prefer to have complete control over what's downloaded onto my iPhone.

However, if Mother and Daughters tastes in Apps is alike then all's good.

slight_smile

Message 4 of 6

davethorp
  • 1035 Posts
  • 11 Topics
  • 38 Solutions

We did have separate store accounts but found that we were paying for the same app like angry birds multiple times which was annoying so we just started using the one store account. We have automatic downloads turned off for everything but updates so if the kids install the latest peppa pig game on their iPods it doesn't go onto iPhone.

I also have iTunes match on my iTunes account so this is also shared over all our devices

Message 5 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

All clever stuff.

iTunes and iCloud and what they can do blows most out of the water.

Message 6 of 6