Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi and 4G calling, O2 firmware

ejfield
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

My samsung s8 plus doesn't seem to support Wifi and 4G calling,  I think this might be because I dont have O2 firmware.  How do I get O2 firmware?

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
So O2 remove the guide we had about flashing firmware yet live chat are allowed to direct customers to do it ?????
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 11 of 21

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
So O2 remove the guide we had about flashing firmware yet live chat are allowed to direct customers to do it ?????

Ironic innit

Message 12 of 21

Skyhawk1010
Level 7: Part Timer
  • 150 Posts
  • 18 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

Funnily enugh...

I had an instance where I recommended the same thing and had my post removed and requested not to post anything similar up again.

Message 13 of 21

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Ridiculous really. The guide we had was on here for years. It gave all the warnings but was so easy to follow...

Now apparently it's ok for O2 to tell people how to do it?

I think the guide should be reinstated.

At least there are people on here who can help and advise. (Not me of course) but others can do it with 'their eyes closed' so to speak...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 14 of 21

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
The "reason" for it from O2 is that they were worried they would be responsible if someone bricked their phone, this, in spite of the fact that my guide was up for at least 5 years, had been viewed by thousands and not one single person had screwed up anything or sued O2 over it.
Yet, live chat, who barely know what day it is, can happily give out this advice ??
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 15 of 21

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
The "reason" for it from O2 is that they were worried they would be responsible if someone bricked their phone, this, in spite of the fact that my guide was up for at least 5 years, had been viewed by thousands and not one single person had screwed up anything or sued O2 over it.
Yet, live chat, who barely know what day it is, can happily give out this advice ??

Exactly that @MI5.

You are correct, not one person claimed they had 'bricked' their phone.

It had a great response from people who used it. I know who I would trust with this and it wouldn't be Live Chat...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 16 of 21

tonjg
Level 3: Thinker
  • 36 Posts
  • 9 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

thankyou for posting this info ejfield. I too am trying to get wifi calling working on my S8, so far no luck but your post has given me hope that I could flash my phone with O2 firmware and get it working. one question though - how do you 'know' that you are making a wifi call? could you post a screenshot of what a wifi call looks like on an S8?

Message 17 of 21

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions

You'll know that WiFi calling is active @tonjg as there will be a symbol in the notification/status bar.
Mine looks like a phone with the WiFi symbol coming out of it.

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 18 of 21

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@tonjg 

As posted previously, you need to put phone into airplane mode and turn on wifi.

If you can then make a call, it's working.

Currently using:
Message 19 of 21

tonjg
Level 3: Thinker
  • 36 Posts
  • 9 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

Thank you MI5 I tried what you said but the call didn't work I'm hoping that replacing the firmware will solve this

Message 20 of 21