cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlocking Phone

Anonymous
Not applicable

Please Help!!

I have moved to Iceland and before I moved I was a pay monthly customer. I paid off my contract and asked my phone to be unlocked so I can use an Icelandic sim whilst abroad. When I inserted the Icelandic sim, it comes up with 'Unlock Sim Pin'. I have read online that this means my phone is not unlocked (even though I had requested it to be)! So I speak to an O2 GURU and he said he has processed it to be unlocked but will take 7 days and I shall recieve a text and confirmation email. I cannot recieve such a text as my phone number is no longer active and I recieved no such email. Does anyone know if the text i'm supposed to recieve will have the unlock pin on it? If so, any suggestions as to how i can recieve it? I have a pay as you go O2 sim which I have activated and topped up just now. The call said the top up was successful however when I tried to ring O2 just now, the call diverts me to top up, saying I have £0 credit!? Is this because I am in Iceland or it takes a while to go through? Please someone help me...I'm pretty sure noone else is in this position but please if someone has any advice I would be so appreciative seeing as O2 are being as helpfull as a rock.

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21

Anonymous
Not applicable

- In January I paid O2 for getting an unlocking code

- I got the email with the code on 19th January, put in a UK T-mobile sim, typed in the code, it said that unlocking was successful, sim worked

- I moved to Germany last week, put in a German sim, got prompted to type in a network unlocking code

- I typed in the old code that I already used in January, but it wasn't successful

Hence now I was baffled that it would ask me again for a code, because in Jauary it worked. So I asked an O2 guru why I'm suddenly prompted for a network unlocking code again. This O2 guru requested the IMEI and the date that I received the code and unlocked it. He wanted to check whether this has all been done properly, and then confirmed that it was. That's how I got the confirmation from O2, I didn't ask for the confirmation. I asked him why this happened again, to which he replied that he doesn't know, it's not supposed to happen. Judging from the verified information that he had, I should not have gotten this prompt again, and it should work now with other sims. Only that it doesn't.

And during this exchange with O2 support he asked me several times to type in the old code again (just to make sure that it's typed in correctly), and the PUK of the new sim ('just to make sure that it's not the PUK that has to be confirmed'). I didn't know then that I'd be hardlocking the device following these requests...if only I had been aware of that, I could have requested or bought a new code. Now it's lost.

Nobody believes me...I know this is not supposed to have happened, but the fact is that it did. Oh well. Nothing I can do anyway now apart from getting rid of it and waiting until I can afford a new phone.

Message 21 of 22

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 145040 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27831 Solutions
If it's any consolation there is only one code, so getting a new or different one wouldn't have helped.
If it was me, I would provide all the details and timeline to Sony, along with the phone and ask them what happened?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 22 of 22