Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange update message

paulbacon
Level 7: Part Timer
  • 436 Posts
  • 69 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Got what i think was a push notification today and on the lock screen it just said "information message". Anyway clicked it and a popup opened saying to update my version of android by going to settings etc. Didnt give a link just an OK button. Click it and it went away

Anyway just looked online and seems a few other users having the same message over the past few days. The fact it contains spelling mistakes makes me wonder ifi ts legit

Here is the link with a screenshot of the message - http://forums.androidcentral.com/general-help-how/664816-software-update-information-message-legitim...

Anyone got one? Im very careful what i install and download/browse on my phone and all apps downloading through Play Store

Message 1 of 14
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144191 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27633 Solutions
I've not seen it myself, but it's doing nothing at all in terms of threatening the phone.
Going to the place it advises will just check for regular OE software updates so it can't hurt you at all.
It may be just a rogue OTA notification but it's perfectly harmless either way.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

Cleoriff
  • 122827 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

Maybe @MI5 can help with this issue @paulbacon?

I have had nothing like this on my Android phone...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 14

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23047 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

That isn't the way update notifications are received. DO NOT download anything from it. I've never had an update come to me like that. 

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 3 of 14

paulbacon
  • 436 Posts
  • 69 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Seems odd that quite a few users have experienced it over on Androidcentral over the past few days, and the popup doesn't give any link to click like malware normally does
Message 4 of 14

paulbacon
  • 436 Posts
  • 69 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Bambino wrote:

That isn't the way update notifications are received. DO NOT download anything from it. I've never had an update come to me like that. 

Thats the thing it doesnt give you a link to download from, it just says go into settings and update manually. There isnt an update button just an OK button which makes the notification disappear

Message 5 of 14

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23047 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

Google doesn't send out misspelled notifications addressed to 'Dear Customer'. It sounds very suspicious to me. If you have the Malwarebytes app on your phone, run it. If you don't, then download it and run it. 

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 6 of 14

MI5
  • 144191 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27633 Solutions
I've not seen it myself, but it's doing nothing at all in terms of threatening the phone.
Going to the place it advises will just check for regular OE software updates so it can't hurt you at all.
It may be just a rogue OTA notification but it's perfectly harmless either way.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 7 of 14

paulbacon
  • 436 Posts
  • 69 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Cheers MI5 put my mind at rest abit. Spelling mistakes, aswell as the path being incorrect (there is no 'Device Information' option in settings its "About Device) made me wonder

Any idea how these push notifications get pushed to your phone if no dodgy app is installed? I only have a handful of apps and they're all stuff like Facebook, Twitter etc so know they're safe
Message 8 of 14

MI5
  • 144191 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27633 Solutions
It could be (most likely) the ROM itself sending the message as a reminder to check for updates (some people don't have automatic updates turned on).
It isn't uncommon for there to be spelling mistakes or outdated info left in ROM's when they are updated.

Currently using:
Message 9 of 14

Cleoriff
  • 122827 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

@paulbacon wrote:

I only have a handful of apps and they're all stuff like Facebook, Twitter etc so know they're safe

Well now @paulbacon...Facebook and Safe aren't two words I would use in the same sentence Fear...however that's irrelevant  as you have been reassured by @MI5 wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 14