Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Android

Highlighted
Level 1: Joiner
Accepted Solution

Smartwatch sim activation

Hi, I have just purchased a smartwatch & loaded it with an O2 sim card. The mobile number for this is different from my phone, I don't want to have 2 separate monthly bills but I need to activate the new sim card, both my watch & phone are Bluetooth paired.
I have heard of an esim link? Can anyone advise how I go about linking please?
Highlighted
Topics: 557
Solutions: 14,027

Re: Smartwatch sim activation

@DAW 

Only Galaxy watch 3 is supported for eSim.

Any other will need a separate sim or just a bluetooth connection.

eSim for watch 3 is available from an O2 store.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
OnePlus 6 (O2 & Sfr), Z3 Tablet (Three UK), iPhone 8+ (EE)
Highlighted
Level 33: Firestarter

[ Edited ]

@DAW

Just to add, If you have an Galaxy Watch 3 then there is a £5 per month charge which is added to your account as a separate new number for that device.

That is for Data, as your watch has its own data allowance.

Everything else is done over bluetooth for notifications, phone calls etc, for most things

The only other watch supported is the Active Watch, no other Android or Tizen watch is supported

Current Phone: Galaxy Fold - o2 5G
I also have a Planet Computers Gemini

I work in IT as an Enterprise Messaging and Collaboration Tools Administrator (Office 365, Slack and much much more) and manage hardware both Mobile and Desktop / laptop, my desk is a bit like PC World

--
We are all customers and dont have access to any o2 accounts
Highlighted

Thank you.
Highlighted

You're welcome
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Highlighted

@madasaf1sh Please don't tell me this is true!

When I was on VF, their "one number" system allowed the use of cellular on the Samsung Galaxy Watch so when it was not connected to the phone I could make/receive calls.

I've just moved back to Samsung phone and Watch 3 on O2 ..... activated the eSim (using QR code) and have an issue that it wants me to switch on BT to place a call!!! Not looking promising and kind of defies the point of having a 4G watch if you can only use data :-/

Highlighted

@red_snow 

You need the £5 per month data plan with O2.

Currently using:
Highlighted

I have that (activated the QR code and all set-up was fine).

I've just read the following from O2:
If you want to leave your phone at home and go out with your watch, you need to ensure that your phone is left switched on and connected to the internet (wifi or mobile data). When you leave home, the watch will use its cellular mode.

When calling from the watch in cellular mode, it uses its data connection to communicate with your Samsung phone at home, and the phone makes the call, and then relays it to the watch. The same goes for messages.

I'm astounded, quite different from how VF do it. So looking at this, if my phone is left at a location where there is no signal, I then travel with my watch to a location with a signal, I still cannot make a call from my watch!!