Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smartwatch sim activation

DAW
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Hi, I have just purchased a smartwatch & loaded it with an O2 sim card. The mobile number for this is different from my phone, I don't want to have 2 separate monthly bills but I need to activate the new sim card, both my watch & phone are Bluetooth paired.
I have heard of an esim link? Can anyone advise how I go about linking please?
Message 1 of 12
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143434 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@DAW 

Only Galaxy watch 3 is supported for eSim.

Any other will need a separate sim or just a bluetooth connection.

eSim for watch 3 is available from an O2 store.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

MI5
  • 143434 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@DAW 

Only Galaxy watch 3 is supported for eSim.

Any other will need a separate sim or just a bluetooth connection.

eSim for watch 3 is available from an O2 store.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 12

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 9987 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2981 Solutions

@DAW

Just to add, If you have an Galaxy Watch 3 then there is a £5 per month charge which is added to your account as a separate new number for that device.

That is for Data, as your watch has its own data allowance.

Everything else is done over bluetooth for notifications, phone calls etc, for most things

The only other watch supported is the Active Watch, no other Android or Tizen watch is supported

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 3 of 12

DAW
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thank you.
Message 4 of 12

MI5
  • 143434 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
You're welcome

Currently using:
Message 5 of 12

red_snow
  • 13 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@madasaf1sh Please don't tell me this is true!

When I was on VF, their "one number" system allowed the use of cellular on the Samsung Galaxy Watch so when it was not connected to the phone I could make/receive calls.

I've just moved back to Samsung phone and Watch 3 on O2 ..... activated the eSim (using QR code) and have an issue that it wants me to switch on BT to place a call!!! Not looking promising and kind of defies the point of having a 4G watch if you can only use data 😕

Message 6 of 12

MI5
  • 143434 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@red_snow 

You need the £5 per month data plan with O2.

Currently using:
Message 7 of 12

red_snow
  • 13 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I have that (activated the QR code and all set-up was fine).

I've just read the following from O2:
If you want to leave your phone at home and go out with your watch, you need to ensure that your phone is left switched on and connected to the internet (wifi or mobile data). When you leave home, the watch will use its cellular mode.

When calling from the watch in cellular mode, it uses its data connection to communicate with your Samsung phone at home, and the phone makes the call, and then relays it to the watch. The same goes for messages.

I'm astounded, quite different from how VF do it. So looking at this, if my phone is left at a location where there is no signal, I then travel with my watch to a location with a signal, I still cannot make a call from my watch!!
Message 8 of 12

Neilo_en_fuego
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I've been having exactly the same problem with my Acitve2 4g.

First of all, I am unable to make or receive calls from the watch when remote connected via WiFi/4g.
Secondly, when attempting/testing calls at first, it was using a separate number and not pulling data from my phones monthly plan, that was rectified and refunds issued.
And finally, after receiving a new esim last week (the o2 team over on Twitter have been really helpful) 4g/WiFi calls still cannot be made or received, even though it states I am able to do so, both on the main o2 site and also in My o2.

It seems there is some sort of software issue, either from o2 or Samsung servers which needs rectifying.
Message 9 of 12

Ianipswich
  • 6 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I also have this issue and O2 are absolutely no help whatsoever. I originally had a Galaxy Watch 4G which I found out (from this forum, NOT from O2!!!!) is not supported on O2 (I still cannot find out from ANYWHERE why this is the case?!!). However, I was told (again on this forum, NOT from O2), that the Galaxy Watch3 4G is supported on O2, so I stupidly spent £400 on that watch, successfully added an eSim only to find it still only works over Bluetooth. 4G does not work. WHAT IS GOING ON???!!!!!! As usual, no possibility of contacting O2 by phone and nobody online at O2 has a clue what's going on with the Galaxy watch. What's worse is that I find out that when (if???!!!) anyone gets their Galaxy watch3 working with O2 on 4G, you have to have your phone turned on and connected to the Internet for the watch to communicate at all. WHHHHAAAATTTT?!!! NO OTHER NETWORK REQUIRES THIS!! IT DEFIES THE POINT OF A 4G WATCH!! Is O2 the most technically incapable network in the UK??!! I honestly find it absolutely unbelievable that a prominent UK mobile network like O2 can get away with being so incompetent. Come on O2, get your act together?!!!!
Message 10 of 12