Did you mean: 

Smartphone - explanation about data and wifi

Jenny105
Level 15: Gaining a Reputation
  • 702 Posts
  • 122 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

A learning curve re smartphones

Hi   My understanding of smartphone as a phone , messages (texts), calls , is ok.

My knowledge of using a phone as a computer is minimal. Ive used a laptop for 20+ years and could handle a lot of programmes and settings. When I sign off from a PC and its shut down I know everything is safe from use . Even if the wi fi was on nothing was being used. And  the monthly broadband fee covers what is needed. 

With a phone , it appears to be open or sleeping . Im reluctant to use wifi  searches and websites becasue of  fear of over use. Also where does Whats App fit in please ? Wi fi or phone

Many thanks

Message 1 of 10
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Your phone uses data to connect to the internet or use apps and services such as WhatsApp.
The data can come from one of two sources, the sim card (mobile data) or wifi (your own at home or wifi hotspots when out and about),
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

MI5
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Your phone uses data to connect to the internet or use apps and services such as WhatsApp.
The data can come from one of two sources, the sim card (mobile data) or wifi (your own at home or wifi hotspots when out and about),
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 10

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

@Jenny105 I use my phone's data to play games (though most can be played offline), do searches, surf the net, do online shopping and log onto the forum. But I also use wifi to do all of these things as weĺl to save my data and particularly when my data gets low. I don't have home wifi but use a wifi hotspot so have a monthly mobile broadband allowance. Home wifi is less restrictive, though I've no idea what, if any, maximum you're not allowed to exceed.

Whatsapp can be used via wifi or through your phone's data it's up to you.

I should also add as I'm on a business contract, I can continue to use my phone's data and mobile broadband even after exceeding my allowances but, as it's very expensive I avoid at all costs!

Hope that helps.

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 3 of 10

Jenny105
  • 702 Posts
  • 122 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

Hi MI5    Im getting there. Thanks for the reply, the mist is slowly clearing .

Data = information . The phone used to interpret tel nos and language info only.  But wi fi data (?) Is that a programming language or binary type system which connects to hubs, servers, www etc .  (sorry I have a demanding & analytical brain , once Ive got this I will understand the workings better, & those infernal settings.

@MI5 wrote:

Message 4 of 10

MI5
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
WiFi is just a short range local area network which transmits radio waves wirelessly.
The technology is very similar to the phone network except the range is shorter as it transmits on a very high frequency.
WiFi signals do come from hubs but these hubs also have to be connected to a network in order to provide data to connected devices.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 10

Jenny105
  • 702 Posts
  • 122 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

@Glory1 wrote:

@Jenny105 I use my phone's data to play games (though most can be played offline), do searches, surf the net, do online shopping and log onto the forum. But I also use wifi to do all of these things as weĺl to save my data and particularly when my data gets low. I don't have home wifi but use a wifi hotspot so have a monthly mobile broadband allowance. Home wifi is less restrictive, though I've no idea what, if any, maximum you're not allowed to exceed.

Whatsapp can be used via wifi or through your phone's data it's up to you.

I should also add as I'm on a business contract, I can continue to use my phone's data and mobile broadband even after exceeding my allowances but, as it's very expensive I avoid at all costs!

Hope that helps.

Yes thats a help.

My sons sis in law was discussing phones with me today.  She said she switches off the wifi on her phone when she leaves her home.  This is something Ive never thought of. !  

I am puzzled by the following     I have a large usage of Google Play , but only play sudoku occasionally - unless Whats App come withing this category.       Plus cellular stuff

Thanks guys and gals for your assistance

Message 6 of 10

MI5
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
No need to ever turn off WiFi as the phone will only connect to known hotspots when in range.
Google Play usage is due to apps updating or being downloaded. WhatsApp will show separately as it's own entry.

Currently using:
Message 7 of 10

Jenny105
  • 702 Posts
  • 122 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

Another helpful piece of info .

Message 8 of 10

Jenny105
  • 702 Posts
  • 122 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

Thanks Gloria and MI5.      Im getting an inderstanding. Some info was known but it all helps with the bigger picture.wave

A visit to 02 store is planned this week. They can see the usage charts etc and help with settings.  Phew.

Message 9 of 10

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions
Glad to be of help and good luck at the O2 store. You'll soon be using your smartphone like all of us 😊
Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 10 of 10